Thread: Big toe weakness/pain?

Big toe weakness/pain?

Not sure what to even call this. I’m having an issue recently where I’m finding I tend to put my weight towards the outer edge of my foot on my right leg, because putting weight through the big toe on my right foot causes a sudden sensation of giving way and pain that eases if I gradually force myself to walk properly.

It’s not really an issue when running, although if it’s bad it can cause a limp initially that soon wears off. However, it can be quite painful when walking around, and is worse after sitting for a period of time, or sleeping. All of this leads me to believe it is tendon or nerve related but I’m not really sure. It’s worth mentioning that I had an ankle reconstruction on the same leg, with a peroneus brevis tendon graft to replace the ruptured ATFL ligament. I expect it is in some way related.

I haven’t seen anyone yet, just wondered if anybody had some ideas first?
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Hi Rob,

I had something similar on my left foot this time last year starting in the previous summer. My big toe would be very painful where it joined the foot for the first few steps on waking and then again after rest throughout the day. Almost like someone had cracked it with a hammer at times and it was better if I put the weight onto the outside.

I could run but ended up stopping in the end as I couldn't be sure it wasn't making it worse. I saw a couple of people--physio, podiatrist--but never got a satisfactory explanation for it. I undertook to strengthen my feet all over and worked on getting better control over my toes--moving them independently etc. It seemed to get better quite quickly after starting this.

Thanks for the reply. Strengthening the foot is probably a good idea anyway, so I’ll look into that as well.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

I have had issues with both my big toe joints for many years. It is Hallux Limitus going on for Rigidus. This is arthritis in the big toe joint. Getting orthotic insoles made a world of difference for me.

I'm not sure if your symptoms are quite the same as mine though so it may be something different. I see that you are in Leeds Rob. If you are of a mind to see a podiatrist I can highly recommend the Good Health Centre on Street Lane in the Moortown/Roundhay area. I have recently seen a guy called Lee Short, who is also a runner, which always helps.

I think I’ve sussed it. Not sure exactly how to describe the issue, but it was manifesting as a sudden weakness when putting my weight through my big toe. I have since found that the muscle on the front of my shin (anterior tibialis?) has become very tight and knotted. I have stretched and rolled it, and hey presto the issue has disappeared (or at least vastly reduced). Not sure exactly what has gone on, but seems ok to me
    @Hill_Runner on twitter