Thread: Spine Race 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    ‘sticks lad the Spine - Keswick parkrun has your name written all over it
    Haha, nice one DT.

I think I'll stick to fell races.

Full respect to the Spiners...hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Well done once again Carol.

Two Spine races and two wins....beltin stuff.

All the best to Bill J....not far now.
    3 beers down on a friday night and I'm inspired by this. Just mentioned to my wife that it's a long time since I went large. Very tempted by the Challenger event next year. are they not doing a summer version?

Super Moderator
    Spine Fusion is summer event iirc. Can’t remember if there’s a full version or just fun run

Long time since I went large. Would struggle with three beers now 😉

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    3 beers down on a friday night and I'm inspired by this. Just mentioned to my wife that it's a long time since I went large. Very tempted by the Challenger event next year. are they not doing a summer version?
    The summer event is the Flare, Matt. Good luck! You can have all Carol’s kit
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Well done once again Carol.

Two Spine races and two wins....beltin stuff.

All the best to Bill J....not far now.
    She says thanks, Daz. It was a full on winter experience out there.

Yes there was an inaugural summer event last year. The full Spine Fusion, and the "challenger" is the Spine Flare. There's a reduced kit list in terms of what you have to carry at all times (i.e. You don't necessarily need a sleeping system I don't think), and I believe some of the checkpoints may involve camping as opposed to indoor beds.

I contacted the organisers and it is planned to be a regular summer event, and I am cautiously planning towards the summer full race in 2019 as long as all goes well this year.

I worked on the safety team for the summer races last year and this year's winter races and have done the winter Challenger myself.

Last year in the summer races the checkpoints for the full distance at Hawes, Middleton and Bellingham were campsites, though at Bellingham wooden camping pods were used rather than tents. It was a very wet week and quite a few of the international competitors were surprised by what counts for summer on the top of the Pennines!

Carol put in another tremendous performance. I'm just so impressed both by her fitness and endurance and her ability to remain in good spirits through such a tough event. I hope she is recovering well

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffle View Post
    Carol put in another tremendous performance. I'm just so impressed both by her fitness and endurance and her ability to remain in good spirits through such a tough event. I hope she is recovering well
    She’s ok. Lots of eating to be done today. We’re heading down to the finish soon to cheer in the 2nd and 3td and 4th women. Beautiful day here today but the snow is still deep.

Stupidly just expressed interest in entering the Spine Flare event this June. Make a change from a Parkrun!