Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Spine Race 2018

Fundmantly changes the race now everybody will have had a good rest before the final very challanging stages in these conditions. Eoin will be very dissapointed he dropped out just before the race was suspended. He looked very shattered in that short intervew in the car, a few hours rest would have made such a difference

His subsequent interview sheds a bit more light, but yes he’s unlucky. Right call to suspend. Cheviots are going to take some traversing today.

Super Moderator
    Do you think seriously race could fizzle our time-wise without completers?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Do you think seriously race could fizzle our time-wise without completers?
    None of us here have any idea of the conditions on the Cheviots, so impossible to answer.

Tom Hollins seems to be on a road now, another dropout ?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    None of us here have any idea of the conditions on the Cheviots, so impossible to answer.
    We've had a hefty dumping of snow (about 13" at 1200 feet) overnight here in Middleton-in-Teesdale. It's very soft and dry too so easy to sink into. Forecasts for Dufton and Alston are for more snow all day today and tomorrow, so Cross fell will be a 'joy' given the extra altitude. I imagine the conditions are far worse on the Cheviots, given the depth of snow already settled from the last few day. It's relatively calm here at the moment, but if the wind picks up there's likely to be substantial drifting, even if the sky remains bright.

A set of back country skis might be a great bonus to any race competitor
    http://web108.extendcp.co.uk/yadmoss.co.uk/webcams/
    Last edited by Mossdog; 18-01-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Tom is out with ankle problem

Simon Gfeller currently in 2nd place. I guess many people won’t know much about him, so thought I’d post a few details here. I first met Simon via FB in early 2015 and I subsequently ended up giving him a lift between Bucharest airport and Bran to do the Transylvania 100k in Romania. Really enjoyed his company over the weekend and he did rather well, finishing 5th overall and 2nd vet. He came across as a very relaxed guy, very modest and with a cracking sense of humour. He was the only person that weekend to encounter a bear... that's another story.

Simon’s FB post Oct 2017.... “I never ever thought I would like running, remembering that I hated running and sport events at scool when I was a very young boy because I was so terrible weak, slow and very skinny in my childhood. I never imagined that now, many years later, ultra trail running would change my point of view of running events and finding motivation practising ultra long endurance races. things changed when I left scool, grew up and strenghten body and mind serving for a some years in the swiss army as a mountain infantry soldier in the swiss alps. among other sports also practising karate for years, becoming a black belt. All that was before moving to spain to learn spanish and start working here. Years later then I started running to keep in shape because I couldn’t do anymore my excersizes in the gym and practise my favourite sport Karate due to a back injury suffered a few years ago. And suddenIy… I felt running very inspiring! That was 5 years ago when I started running…… and a new era began in my life. Things have changed since..”

No kidding! He’s a real late comer to running, but has progressed incredibly quickly. In 2016 he entered the Malaga marathon, did no marathon specific training, just went out to enjoy himself and finished sub 3 hrs.

This article is in Spanish, but you might be able to pick out some details, or be able to run it through a translator tool.
    https://trailrunningandalucia.com/20...emas-este-ano/
    Totley AC

Pavel is at hut one and seems to moving ok though the cheviots, although very much the lower end of route today altitude wise. Be interesting to see how much has drifted around the steeper slopes on Windy Gyle and in those hollows between there and Mozie Law (i have had some horrendous times with drifts in that little pocket). Expect Pav to be done this evening, perhaps about 8ish? If the drifts are really bad and hold him up, then maybe he'll kip at hut 2?

I've not been able to follow too closely today. But Pavel appears to be moving in the region of 1 mph, which indicates some tough conditions.

BillJ slicing through the field and is now in 11th...!