Thread: Knee injury

Knee injury

Just looking for a little advice on a stupid injury I picked up. I've done some damage to my knee after kneeling on the edge of a dvd case. This was back in November, and it's still painful to do certain things, for instance if I try to kneel down, it feels like I'm kneeling on a ball bearing.
    I haven't managed a run on the knee since it happened, but have started cycling/elliptical training again. I can do this, but the knee is very stiff and sore the next day. Nothing feels or looks out of place, and I'm reluctant to go to my GP as I very much doubt they'll do a deal.
    Anyone had any type of similar impact injury to the knee - should it be painful for this long and should I train through it or rest it out?

For most knee issues work on the muscles up (and down) stream of the affected area (quads, glutes, hips, core, ankle) will often sort out knee pain.
    However this isn't the case with an impact issue as you have.
    The doctor won't be much use. I'd go to a physio, preferably a decent sports one. NHS won't be too fussed with someone who 'only' can't run.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Possibly Housemaid's Knee?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Whadda-ya-sayin'-like?
    I suppose it could be, it's just that this was from a one off trauma. I'm not one to kneel on a regular basis.
    As ba-ba said, chances are my Gp's response to not being able to run will be, well don't run then. I've just got to make my own decision as to whether this is one to run off or not, and then suffer any consequences. At the minute, it's not too painful, but it's hurting above, almost behind the knee, with a weird tingly/burny sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsloth View Post
    Whadda-ya-sayin'-like?
    I suppose it could be, it's just that this was from a one off trauma. I'm not one to kneel on a regular basis.
    As ba-ba said, chances are my Gp's response to not being able to run will be, well don't run then. I've just got to make my own decision as to whether this is one to run off or not, and then suffer any consequences. At the minute, it's not too painful, but it's hurting above, almost behind the knee, with a weird tingly/burny sensation.
    Behind the kneecap? Think Articular Cartilage, housemaid's knee is Tendinopathy of sorts i recall. Luekotaping can relieve the pressure on certain areas of Articular Cartilage, you'd need to see a sports physio for that, GP won't help.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Being a tight northerner and very much an amateur runner compared to the majority on here, physio was never really an option. I decided just to get back out there about 10 days ago, after realising that I hadn't run for well over a month. First time out was painful and I pulled up after 2.5km. Next couple of times were slow, but I managed 5km a time. At the weekend, I managed a parkrun in a time which was semi-respectable for me. I'm trying to do some strengthening/stabilisation work too.
    My knee is still painful but I've decided to just carry on now. Time will tell whether I've made the right decision.
    Thanks for any responses.

You really should see a physio. Potentially you could be sorted out in one or two visits. What price is £50-£60 to pay if it puts your injury right compared to the context of ending up out of your sport for months or more if you exacerbate what is clearly an underlying problem just now?

There are so many people on here that have learned the hard way (me included!) - don't become another one!

I wouldn't be so dismissive of your GP either. I've been referred to NHS physios for a number of running related injuries over the years, particularly if you stress the possible impact on your overall mental well-being of not being able to run!.

Although it often takes time to get the appointment to see them (chasing for cancellations helps...) my experience is that they know their stuff and are much keener to get you sorted and on your way than private physios, who are often after multiple repeat visits!

Many knee injuries can be eased by doing lots of squats, but it helps to have that diagnosed properly of course!