Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof trousers

another nod for a cheap pair. Got mine for ~£10 from Decathlon (quechua walking ones, fully taped and a zip at the bottom of each leg and pockets!), they live in my bumbag and rarely get used (yet to use them when racing) so don't feel the need to shell out.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I bought a cheap pair of Regatta trousers from Mountain Warehouse, waterproof,breathable and with taped seams for under £20. Good enough to pass kit check and if you ever had to wear them they'd do a decent job, although not brilliant to run long distances as you tend to sweat a lot in them but there ok. There is a lot better quality on the market but not at that price.
    I'm sure someones gonna come on here saying you should never skimp of waterproof safety gear and I agree if its not gonna work, and would never purchase an equivalent jacket from Regatta but these bottoms are pretty good, I've ran the fells in pretty bleak weather in them and they was not bad.

I've not done a race yet where kit was mandatory, but have been collecting some bits as I anticipate needing them in the future. With regards to trousers, where does the FRA stand on open pockets? I have a pair of Dare2b overtrousers, fully taped seams, bottom closures etc, but the pockets are just open to allow access to your pockets underneath. Would these pass a kit check?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    I'm sure someones gonna come on here saying you should never skimp of waterproof safety gear and I agree if its not gonna work, and would never purchase an equivalent jacket from Regatta but these bottoms are pretty good, I've ran the fells in pretty bleak weather in them and they was not bad.
    Absolutely. I'm surprised nobody's raised that yet but although cheap, I'm sure my trousers I have would serve me well should I ever need them. Skimping on cost is one thing, safety is another thing entirely..
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsloth View Post
    I've not done a race yet where kit was mandatory, but have been collecting some bits as I anticipate needing them in the future. With regards to trousers, where does the FRA stand on open pockets? I have a pair of Dare2b overtrousers, fully taped seams, bottom closures etc, but the pockets are just open to allow access to your pockets underneath. Would these pass a kit check?
    The requirement specifically states waterproof with taped seams so I guess they would pass all but the most stringent kit check. Again it comes down to safety - are you going to be confident in them warding off hyperthermia should you actually need them?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Thanks a lot guys I'm going Keswick Saturday so I'll have a look around now you've gave me some Idea what I need for mandatory pants

I've just got a pair of OMM Kam trousers off Sportspursuits heavily discounted. They are quality trousers and I bought them for long winter days out in bad weather.
    They are far less pack-able than the £7 pair I got 5 years ago from Go Outdoors that have remained in my bumbag wrapped in string ever since and for racing I will always carry the £7 pair rather than the OMMs

I need some pack trousers - I don't intend to wear them while running but likewise will eventually need some for kit compliance and well, of course it's a good idea to be prepared anyway.

From reading the posts here it would cheap and cheerful are more than enough, but there's no price on safety.

Does anyone have a recommendation for this year? Perhaps a great sale bargain they have spotted somewhere recently?

I've been racing since 2015, and always used the same pair of £10 specials from Go outdoors (other retail outlets are available).

To be honest they've never had to come out of the pack in a race situation yet.

On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't skimp on a decent waterproof top.

Okay, thanks!

Might pop into the Go Outdoors shop next time I am in Leeds

And yes, I got lucky in TheOMM sale and picked up an Aether for £175 - which I think is an absolute bargain and it seems to be the bees knees!! All great so far!!

p.s. just had a look on the website and these seem to fit the bill:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/1590584...ouser-15905846
    Last edited by DangerMouse; 22-08-2019 at 02:12 PM.