Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Running Show

National Running Show

Was anyone else at the National Running Show at the NEC over the weekend?

I was there on Saturday. I suppose it was ok considering the cheap tickets (£10, although I had a free ticket), and considering it was only 10 minutes on the train, but I certainly wouldn't have travelled the length of the country for it.

Extremely packed in the morning. There was a proliferation of stands which didn't really interest me.... endless manufacturers of calf sleeves and other unnecessary stuff. A couple of decent stands... LED Lenser with a massive range of torches, a running sunglasses manufacturer where I made my only purchase of the day... Scimitar who make custom vests... a couple of shops such as Up & Running, although there were no changing rooms and it was packed so couldn't really try anything on.

As for the speakers, lectures, etc.... well I didn't see any... to get the 3D gait analysis or book a 1-to-1 with a "celebrity" required getting there early to book, so I missed all that. I did see Kelly Holmes chatting away to people. As for the lectures, well there was a main stage but all the seating was taken by people who had put clothing down to save their seat, a la German holidaymakers at the pool. I really couldn't be bothered to get into an argument with anyone, so gave it all a miss.

What amused me was how many people turned up as if they were about to race... team vests, tights, bumbags, etc....!

Would I recommend...? For the northerners on here, probably not enough to entice you down, and certainly nothing really geared to Fell running. But for me, with the location and free ticket, a half-decent few hours walking around.

Pretty much as expected really,

Well done, sadly I had to spend the weekend enjoying the snow on the fells, but its always interesting to know what's happening in the deep dark south!
    A circular route mostly downhill

We went, very disappointed, I'd agree with everything you said about it. It was their first year though, so maybe they'll get some bigger/more interesting stalls next year there certainly was interest, as it was rammed. Regarding wearing kit - one of their emails (they sent what? 2/day for the week building up) recommended turning up in running gear.
    at £12 parking too, we won't be going back.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by RunUpWhere View Post
    Regarding wearing kit - one of their emails (they sent what? 2/day for the week building up) recommended turning up in running gear.
    I think the idea is that you turn up in running gear because you have run all the way to the venue to avoid the £12 parking fee.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by RunUpWhere View Post
    We went, very disappointed, I'd agree with everything you said about it. It was their first year though, so maybe they'll get some bigger/more interesting stalls next year there certainly was interest, as it was rammed. Regarding wearing kit - one of their emails (they sent what? 2/day for the week building up) recommended turning up in running gear.
    The whole NEC/Rail Station/Airport complex is a ripoff to be honest, it's not just the NEC.

Went to the Wetherspoons at lunchtime on the Saturday, and 2 drinks and a meal were about £4 more expensive than the same thing in Coventry city centre.

Luckily I work in Central Birmingham so my train pass covered the travel to the venue, and no associated parking.

I've already had an email or two advertising the 2019 show...!

I was also rather miffed at having to queue up for about 20 minutes to get in. Apparently they had sold a massive amount of tickets, and then let a load of people pay on the door, meaning everyone waiting to get in as it was "1 in 1 out"...

Didn't really have a massive negative effect on the day, but I would have thought people with tickets in advance would have some sort of priority. But as you say, their first year, so hopefully a move to a bigger hall, and some interest from bigger and more varied stands/brands/features, and it might be an improvement in 2019.

the availability of free tickets over social media was unbelievable, i'd be surprised if anyone paid full price for a ticket. Though I guess it was a 'loss leader' for future years.
    Last edited by Travs; 22-01-2018 at 01:01 PM.

sounds like the antithesis of fell running, maybe even competitive running, to me. One for the instagrammers and influencers?
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Although not that far from my humble abode, I chose instead to go running through some very wet and muddy fields in the cold, snow and rain with my wife and dog. Its a simple thing, running. Surely there is only so much that would warrant a show or am I missing the point?
    I guess I'm not their target demographic anyway!
    Last edited by PeteS; 22-01-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Certainly was a few too many Obstacle Course events, and 'this mum runs' type brands for me. not to say these aren't noble brands if they get people active, but not really the sort of stuff I was hoping for.

As for whether a show is even necessary... well I was part of the equivalent Martial Arts Show a few years back, and it was absolutely superb. But for better or worse, a lot of types of running are big business. There's a new shop in my city that brands itself as a running shop, yet it's basically a sports shop, but seems to attract people in.

I did balance things out on sunday by going for a 23 mile run in the snow, wearing my OMM top held together by masking tape, so I've not completely sold out to commercial running...!!

Master
    Sadly I am a hill runner/walker and I certainly do not do crowds (especially during the flu season) so traipsing around a show is of no interest to me, and given the cracking weather conditions on the hills this weekend I would not have gone even if I had paid for a ticket.
    I gave my OMM kit a good workout over the two days as well.
    The older I get the Faster I was