Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 summary

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post

There was a spike in the mid 1980s and it took until the bump around 2010 for the most successful year to be eclipsed. It's quite possible that the 2010 bump was down to Feet In The Clouds but equally it could be a cascade within clubs - someone does the round and others in their club think "well if they can do it, so can I".
    Bob

I have always favoured the "cascade" argument. I recall from the distant past that I ran my first Three Peaks because everybody else in my club seemed to do it and I wanted to "belong". And it didn't hurt a bit.

FITC gets blamed for many things, probably with justification and often by me,: but it was published in 2004 which is a few years before 2010.

However what is undeniable is that the steepest ever increase in membership of the FRA was in the two years following publication of FITC. The annual increase then became more gradual. It seems to me that the first and more direct influence of FITC was to encourage people to go fell running and join clubs; and then the secondary factor was as above.

Perhaps you could offer every completer a free copy of FITC and you could analyse their responses from "my inspiration" to "never heard of it"
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Second graph, for last 6 years, shows remarkably fixed percentage of completions of close to 50% (doing very simple completion/registration sum, which is all there is really), a shallow rising trend in completions and steeper rise in registrations (dotted trend lines). BGRlast6years.JPG

When I was running for Ilkley I didn't know anyone who'd done the Round. Even when I asked for support runners few came forward despite Ilkley being very much a fell running friendly club. (Maybe I wasn't popular) It was only afterwards that I found that there were at least three members who'd done the Round but many years earlier. Once I'd done it there were several more who attempted/succeeded.

Of course there's Dark Peak who have a steady stream of contenders - I don't know how big a club it is but they've quite possibly got the highest percentage of members who've done the BGR

Maybe a question: "where did you hear about the BGR?"

Without making the forms too intrusive it's hard to draw too many conclusions. I based the current spreadsheet on the original paper version but have made the following changes amongst others.

Just ask for age on date of round rather than date of birth.
    With everything being electronic now ask for email address not physical home address
    Ask for nationality. Allows us to answer the "Am I the first person from XXX to do the round?" questions.
    I can't remember if the number of previous attempts was on the paper form or not.

Currently the form asks for club details but I don't add that info to the database. If I did then I could get a table of club/year completions and possibly see any trends.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

When I was running for Ilkley I didn't know anyone who'd done the Round. Even when I asked for support runners few came forward despite Ilkley being very much a fell running friendly club. (Maybe I wasn't popular) It was only afterwards that I found that there were at least three members who'd done the Round but many years earlier. Once I'd done it there were several more who attempted/succeeded.
    Morgan must have been very shy in those days. Hard to believe really

There's quite a few current club members at Ilkley Harriers who have either done it or attempted it or have it on their radar at the moment and no shortage of willing volunteers to support.

I'm looking back to 2003/2004 with that statement - there was Morgan, Geoff Howard and Ashley ??? who'd done their round some years earlier. I probably didn't ask them or nothing got through on the grapevine.
    Bob

Maybe I overstated it - I don’t know numbers but I know two made an attempt last year together (one successful, one not). And there’s Brian M around 2009 and I think maybe Alison W around the same time? Maybe others around the club who might not have been Harriers at the time. But perhaps i should have said it seems like there’s a fair few who at least know the terrain and are available to call on for support.
    Last edited by benshep; 31-01-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typo

I'm looking back to 2003/2004 with that statement - there was Morgan, Geoff Howard and Ashley ??? who'd done their round some years earlier.
    Ashley Hardwell?

I don't know if he did a BGR but he got round Ennerdale in 2000 (following me, naturally).

Just back on-line as our home broadband is kaput at the moment

Ben, I helped Alison with her round, Brian M was a few years after mine as well. There's a few more Harriers done it certainly

Graham - yes Ashley Hardwell, he did his round in 1999
    Bob

Just back on-line as our home broadband is kaput at the moment

Ben, I helped Alison with her round, Brian M was a few years after mine as well. There's a few more Harriers done it certainly

Graham - yes Ashley Hardwell, he did his round in 1999
    Oh and Steve T last year too. maybe a few more in 2018...