Hi again everyone,

Thanks a lot for your replies. It's really good to hear it's not so uncommon.

Sorry to hear of your situation Stagger. That's obviously a lot more serious than just a general losing your motivation and I'm sorry to hear you're going through it. I hope you'll be out the worst of it soon.

Thanks Chris (doughty84), PeteS and Travs too. That's really similar to some of my feelings now. I entered two races for 2018 only a couple of months ago and felt really up for them. I've even had some decent training runs lately. But something's switched. And like with you (Chris), my children are 8 and 4 and I look at them and think, what if I had a whole Sunday with them and didn't have to disappear for an hour and a half? Or what if I didn't have disappear even when we're on holiday! Maybe it's just a runner's selfishness that I haven't thought these things before...

And once the joy has gone a bit, there's probably no point just flogging yourself, as joy's pretty much the point.

And thanks to Bill, Manhar, Derby Tup and Wheezing Donkey. All definitely good points and really helpful.

One thing I sometimes think about and find really interesting, is Gavin Bland. He was obviously amazing in his younger years and then seemed to stop (as far as I know). But then one year, maybe 2012ish, I remember seeing him at Loughrigg Silver Howe, and seeing him, Chris Steele and Rob Jebb trott off up Loughrigg all chatting to each other, while others drifted behind. That year, he went on to win the British Champs! And then he seemed to go again! So it's possible to leave it for a bit and rediscover your love for it.

One final thought, I remember saying to my wife that standing on the start line of the Langdale Horseshoe reminded me a bit of the story of The Ugly Duckling - for me standing there was the equivalent of the moment when the duckling finds out who he really is.

Maybe the feeling's gone a bit, but those years of running, especially fell running, served a massive purpose that'll always be appreciated.

Thanks again.