Thread: Wrekin Fell Race

Wrekin Fell Race

I did not enter Edale Skyline due to calf injury at entry deadline time. Fitish now so am going to give The 40th Wrekin a go on Sunday.Does anyone have any knowledge of the general underfoot terrain/conditions of this race especially with regard to shoe choice?

It's mainly fairly easy terrain. Quarter of a mile on road at the start and finish. The half mile or so along the top of the Wrekin is fairly stony and again quite easy. But it's the middle section which contains a couple of very steep climbs and descents. When I did it, it was dry so the ground was pretty bare soil which no real underfoot grip. Combined with careering through the trees on the descents, this is quite a hairy section. I would imagine given the recent weather it will be slippy.

I'd say you definitely need fell shoes or will lose large amounts of time on this section.

It's a good, fast race.

as Travs says.it's a real combination of fairly hard surfaces like the lane and the main track to the summit of the Wrekin and quite soft, slippery and steep (both up and down).
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Thanks Gents. Sounds just the job for my Mizuno Wave Harrier's. I have to restrict their use as they don't make them any more. Cracking shoes.