Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: PeyongChang 2018

  1. #1
    Master ba-ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,347

    PeyongChang 2018

    Winter Olympics start at the end of this week.

    From a brief look at the schedule a lot of the (medal) events are evening in Korea, so mid morning-lunch time for us.

    I'll be watching quite a bit on Eurosport (small screen at work ). The BBC does a good job for general interest, but as I follow a few sports fairly closely through the winter I like the better knowledge (and reduced number of talking heads and punditry time) Eurosport offers.

    Particularly interested in Biathlon, Fourcade vs. Boe in the Men's races; the women's races are a lot more open so should be exciting too. A shame Bjoerndalen, at 44, just missed selection. The Norwegian men's Biathlon team has got to be one of the toughest team to be selected for in world sport (Norwegian XC, Belgian Cyclocross and US track Sprint relays the others?).

    As for Brits, obviously Yarnold and Christie get most coverage in the Skeleton/Short-track, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Andrews Young and Musgrave get on in the XC (Sprint and 50km classic respectively). The flair sports are always fun to watch even if the commentary can be a bit naff at times.
    Nic Barber, Pennine. Downhill Dandy

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Winter Olympics start at the end of this week.

    From a brief look at the schedule a lot of the (medal) events are evening in Korea, so mid morning-lunch time for us.

    I'll be watching quite a bit on Eurosport (small screen at work ). The BBC does a good job for general interest, but as I follow a few sports fairly closely through the winter I like the better knowledge (and reduced number of talking heads and punditry time) Eurosport offers.

    Particularly interested in Biathlon, Fourcade vs. Boe in the Men's races; the women's races are a lot more open so should be exciting too. A shame Bjoerndalen, at 44, just missed selection. The Norwegian men's Biathlon team has got to be one of the toughest team to be selected for in world sport (Norwegian XC, Belgian Cyclocross and US track Sprint relays the others?).

    As for Brits, obviously Yarnold and Christie get most coverage in the Skeleton/Short-track, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Andrews Young and Musgrave get on in the XC (Sprint and 50km classic respectively). The flair sports are always fun to watch even if the commentary can be a bit naff at times.
    Biathlon might be my favourite sport to watch on TV. The Fourcade Boe rivalry has been great this year and the women's races in particular have been exciting, especially with the return of Laura Dahlmeier! I never thought I would spend so much time watching flaps of red paper fluttering in the wind with so much tension.

    Eurosport can be frustrating with their lack of clear timetabling (I've lost count of the hours of snooker they advertised as biathlon) but I am glad they have introduced me to some cool sports. Their worst crime though was buying the rights to the World Champs cyclocross, thus taking it of the UCI youtube channel, and cutting to adverts in the decisive moments of the final lap of the women's cyclocross. However, rants about the "home of cycling (except for when there is tennis)" is another topic for another time.

  3. #3
    Master ba-ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,347
    Yes I like Eurosport but it would be infinitely better with scaled- back snooker and tennis!

  4. #4
    Master wheezing donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Bowland Bog
    Posts
    2,522
    OK, it's 20 some years ago now; but name the champion fell runner who represented GB in the Winter Olympics Biathlon?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    OK, it's 20 some years ago now; but name the champion fell runner who represented GB in the Winter Olympics Biathlon?
    Mark Croasdale.

    A really great guy and one not easily upset - but then if you have been shot at in shooting wars the trivialities of fell running don't really raise your heart rate.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  6. #6
    Master wheezing donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Bowland Bog
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mark Croasdale.

    A really great guy and one not easily upset - but then if you have been shot at in shooting wars the trivialities of fell running don't really raise your heart rate.
    Aw, come on Graham, give these young pups a chance ..... Yes Mark has been a serving Royal Marine for several decades now, the last time that I was chatting to him, he had been working as an instructor for several years.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Aw, come on Graham, give these young pups a chance ..... Yes Mark has been a serving Royal Marine for several decades now, the last time that I was chatting to him, he had been working as an instructor for several years.
    Well I assumed there was a bottle of decent claret on offer .
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  8. #8
    Master wheezing donkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Bowland Bog
    Posts
    2,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well I assumed there was a bottle of decent claret on offer .
    The danger of assumptions
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    The danger of assumptions
    My question: in which year in the Three Peaks Race did the leader by "a mile" up to Ingleborough then fall apart to be overtaken by three other runners and so fail to make the podium, all to be captured on film in perpetuity from a helicopter for a TV documentary on the race; and who was that man?

    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-02-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  10. #10
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My question: in which year in the Three Peaks Race did the leader by "a mile" up to Ingleborough then fall apart to be overtaken by three other runners and so fail to make the podium, all to be captured on film in perpetuity from a helicopter for a TV documentary on the race; and who was that man?

    Year 1978...?

    The name eludes me though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •