Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PeyongChang 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PeyongChang 2018

Winter Olympics start at the end of this week.

From a brief look at the schedule a lot of the (medal) events are evening in Korea, so mid morning-lunch time for us.

I'll be watching quite a bit on Eurosport (small screen at work ). The BBC does a good job for general interest, but as I follow a few sports fairly closely through the winter I like the better knowledge (and reduced number of talking heads and punditry time) Eurosport offers.

Particularly interested in Biathlon, Fourcade vs. Boe in the Men's races; the women's races are a lot more open so should be exciting too. A shame Bjoerndalen, at 44, just missed selection. The Norwegian men's Biathlon team has got to be one of the toughest team to be selected for in world sport (Norwegian XC, Belgian Cyclocross and US track Sprint relays the others?).

As for Brits, obviously Yarnold and Christie get most coverage in the Skeleton/Short-track, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Andrews Young and Musgrave get on in the XC (Sprint and 50km classic respectively). The flair sports are always fun to watch even if the commentary can be a bit naff at times.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Winter Olympics start at the end of this week.

From a brief look at the schedule a lot of the (medal) events are evening in Korea, so mid morning-lunch time for us.

I'll be watching quite a bit on Eurosport (small screen at work ). The BBC does a good job for general interest, but as I follow a few sports fairly closely through the winter I like the better knowledge (and reduced number of talking heads and punditry time) Eurosport offers.

Particularly interested in Biathlon, Fourcade vs. Boe in the Men's races; the women's races are a lot more open so should be exciting too. A shame Bjoerndalen, at 44, just missed selection. The Norwegian men's Biathlon team has got to be one of the toughest team to be selected for in world sport (Norwegian XC, Belgian Cyclocross and US track Sprint relays the others?).

As for Brits, obviously Yarnold and Christie get most coverage in the Skeleton/Short-track, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the Andrews Young and Musgrave get on in the XC (Sprint and 50km classic respectively). The flair sports are always fun to watch even if the commentary can be a bit naff at times.
    Biathlon might be my favourite sport to watch on TV. The Fourcade Boe rivalry has been great this year and the women's races in particular have been exciting, especially with the return of Laura Dahlmeier! I never thought I would spend so much time watching flaps of red paper fluttering in the wind with so much tension.

Eurosport can be frustrating with their lack of clear timetabling (I've lost count of the hours of snooker they advertised as biathlon) but I am glad they have introduced me to some cool sports. Their worst crime though was buying the rights to the World Champs cyclocross, thus taking it of the UCI youtube channel, and cutting to adverts in the decisive moments of the final lap of the women's cyclocross. However, rants about the "home of cycling (except for when there is tennis)" is another topic for another time.

Yes I like Eurosport but it would be infinitely better with scaled- back snooker and tennis!

OK, it's 20 some years ago now; but name the champion fell runner who represented GB in the Winter Olympics Biathlon?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    OK, it's 20 some years ago now; but name the champion fell runner who represented GB in the Winter Olympics Biathlon?
    Mark Croasdale.

A really great guy and one not easily upset - but then if you have been shot at in shooting wars the trivialities of fell running don't really raise your heart rate.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Mark Croasdale.

A really great guy and one not easily upset - but then if you have been shot at in shooting wars the trivialities of fell running don't really raise your heart rate.
    Aw, come on Graham, give these young pups a chance ..... Yes Mark has been a serving Royal Marine for several decades now, the last time that I was chatting to him, he had been working as an instructor for several years.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Aw, come on Graham, give these young pups a chance ..... Yes Mark has been a serving Royal Marine for several decades now, the last time that I was chatting to him, he had been working as an instructor for several years.
    Well I assumed there was a bottle of decent claret on offer .

Ah I see...

I was thinking of the YouTube video I've seen of the Three Peaks Race, which followed the fortunes of (I think) a Daily Mirror journalist. I thought that one was around 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ah I see...

I was thinking of the YouTube video I've seen of the Three Peaks Race, which followed the fortunes of (I think) a Daily Mirror journalist. I thought that one was around 1978.
    That was 1976, Roger Greenwood who was a reporter for Yorkshire Television. Greenwood later set up his own company and made the 1993 documentary and then a most lavish production for the 50th race in 2004 (and since you ask, I am interviewed in it ) which was screened by Yorkshire Television on May 6th.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-02-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Travs's first guess, 1978, is notable in Three Peaks history, but for tragic reasons: it is the year that Edward Pepper died during the race in very difficult weather conditions. I remember that a lot was made of the fact that he was a Southerner with little experience on the fells. I'm not sure how much this affected me, as a Southerner who was just getting into hill-running while studying at a Scottish university.

Anyway, on a more cheerful note, here's my brain-teaser (which Graham Breeze isn't allowed to answer, because he knows all the answers):
    Which Southerner who discovered our sport while at a Scottish university was editor of the Fellrunner magazine for several years?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges