Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: PeyongChang 2018

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Year 1978...?

    The name eludes me though.
    Travs, The hint is in the foregoing thread.

    The narrowest victory yet was achieved in 1993 by the Thirlmere shepherd, Gavin Bland (Borrowdale), over another Cumbrian athlete, Mark Roberts (Kendal). Mark Croasdale (Lancaster & Morecambe) had actually held a 5 minute lead on Ingleborough but had then faded to eventually finish 4th, though he was to later redeem himself by winning the 1999 race. Meanwhile, the strongly-running Bland had surged into the lead to finally pip Roberts by only 4 seconds with a time of 3.05.17. (Bill Smith)

    Bill wrote the above in 2004 but in 1991 he had written a prescient Profile of Mark for the October 1991 Fellrunner which preceded Mark's later great victories.

    Lots of runners "lose" big leads by not everyone has it captured on film for television. As I said, Mark is one of the nicest people I ever worked with in fell running and he was teased about 1993 for years.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-02-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  2. #12
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,177
    Ah I see...

    I was thinking of the YouTube video I've seen of the Three Peaks Race, which followed the fortunes of (I think) a Daily Mirror journalist. I thought that one was around 1978.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Ah I see...

    I was thinking of the YouTube video I've seen of the Three Peaks Race, which followed the fortunes of (I think) a Daily Mirror journalist. I thought that one was around 1978.
    That was 1976, Roger Greenwood who was a reporter for Yorkshire Television. Greenwood later set up his own company and made the 1993 documentary and then a most lavish production for the 50th race in 2004 (and since you ask, I am interviewed in it ) which was screened by Yorkshire Television on May 6th.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    679
    Travs's first guess, 1978, is notable in Three Peaks history, but for tragic reasons: it is the year that Edward Pepper died during the race in very difficult weather conditions. I remember that a lot was made of the fact that he was a Southerner with little experience on the fells. I'm not sure how much this affected me, as a Southerner who was just getting into hill-running while studying at a Scottish university.

    Anyway, on a more cheerful note, here's my brain-teaser (which Graham Breeze isn't allowed to answer, because he knows all the answers):
    Which Southerner who discovered our sport while at a Scottish university was editor of the Fellrunner magazine for several years?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Travs's first guess, 1978, is notable in Three Peaks history, but for tragic reasons: it is the year that Edward Pepper died during the race in very difficult weather conditions. I remember that a lot was made of the fact that he was a Southerner with little experience on the fells. I'm not sure how much this affected me, as a Southerner who was just getting into hill-running while studying at a Scottish university.

    Anyway, on a more cheerful note, here's my brain-teaser (which Graham Breeze isn't allowed to answer, because he knows all the answers):
    Which Southerner who discovered our sport while at a Scottish university was editor of the Fellrunner magazine for several years?
    I know ! I know!!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  6. #16
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,177
    As an avid collector of old Fellrunner magazines (I once drove from Coventry to Rossendale to collect a boot-full of old magazines from someone).... a name that comes to me is John(?) Blair Fish.....?

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    As an avid collector of old Fellrunner magazines (I once drove from Coventry to Rossendale to collect a boot-full of old magazines from someone).... a name that comes to me is John(?) Blair Fish.....?
    Yes, it was John Blair-Fish.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  8. #18
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    1,177
    Loved the style of the magazine of that era... one of my favourite features was the series of stories about a guy who was in love with a fellow club-mate, but she fancied the running champion of the club, and the various schemes he came up with to gain her attention... brilliant...

    Although something like that these days would be bound to offend someone... probably suited the nature of the magazine back then, how it would fit in with the glossy style of today I'm not sure...

    Although I have to say that the magazine of today outshines absolutely any magazine you can buy in a shop, it really is superb and worth more than the FRA subscription on its own.

  9. #19
    Master ba-ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,408
    First medal decided in women's XC skiing 7.5km+7.5km Skiathlon (first half classic style, 2nd half freestyle.
    Charlotte Kalla (Swe) made a break on a steep hill with about 3km to go and wasn't seen again for her 3rd(?) Olympic gold. Marijt Bjoergen (Nor), at 37 becoming the oldest female winter olympic medallist(??) was second 8s back, Parmakojski (Fin) 3rd).
    The swedes started the season well then disappeared a bit from the world cup tour, they seem to have got their prep just right!

    Women's 7.5km sprint Biathlon in an hour or so - 10 targets (5 each prone/stand), time-trial starts. Will be interesting to see if it's as open as the World Cup has been all season, or if Laura Dahlmeir (Ger) has timed her peak to perfection (she's being touted as winning all 6 golds on offer to her).

    Timings from the sprint are taken forward to the 10km pursuit (chasing start format) in a couple of days' time.
    Nic Barber, Pennine. Downhill Dandy

  10. #20
    Master ba-ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    1,408
    Dahlmeir won comfortably by 24s, one of only 3 to shoot clean in gusty conditions. So she now has a penalty loops worth o a gap going into the 10km/20target pursuit.

    Not much joy for the brits with the exception of Elise Christie in the short track.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •