Thread: Cheviot Goat 2018

Cheviot Goat 2018

Seeing as pre-entry to races seems to be a hot topic at the moment...

Thought i'd mention that I spotted the 2018 Montane Cheviot Goat Ultra pre-entry opens at 8:30am on 2nd March.

haven't seen any confirmation of race date yet, but I think last year it was the first Saturday in December with a start time of something like 5:30am.

I think it may be quite popular as it seemed to go down well in 2017. I'm certainly going to throw my hat into the ring on this one. Looks tough.

It was a fantastic inaugural event last year, with perfect winter conditions. I'd definitely recommend it and I think I'll be heading up again, despite the early start.

https://vimeo.com/253949635
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Dino, out of interest, what did you do for sleeping/accommodation?

I'll be coming a long way, and options seem to be at a premium. First option looks like using the free camping facility. Possible second option of staying in Alnwick the night before and after, and driving over for the race.

Cetainly thinking of extending the weekend and having an extra night in the area afterwards.... Alnwick/Berwick/Bamburgh/Newcastle/etc

https://www.barrowburnfarm.com/ It's on the route and I think judging from the video the camping barn features as a aid point. It lovely and secluded. It does only have a coal fire/gas heater in the front room. When we stayed last Easter they were talking about putting heaters in the bedrooms....

Matthew

It's certainly a good call, and it may be yourself who mentioned this place on a post last year, and somewhere i'd love to stay in the future. Yes it's the halfway checkpoint on this.

However for this race it's possibly not so good for me. It appears to be around 18-20 miles drive, on single track road, in winter, in the dark, to get to the start, never mind after the race. And I don't necessarily fancy jogging it for a warmup.

Looks fantastic though, but I think the most sensible will be camping the night before and after, to avoid any driving whilst seriously tired, then possibly a day/night in comfort somewhere nearby afterwards, before the long drive south.

Race date is Saturday 1st December

Entries opened this morning and i'm in.

Seems to be a very high standard of competitors (myself a noticeable exception to this). Looks like it will be a furious race at the front end.

Travs, We have booked into a cottage in Powburn which is about 5 mins from the start; every second counts when the start is so early! We stayed there last year and it worked out pretty well as the faster runners had a chance to go back and shower before coming back to cheer me over the line .

I wouldn't recommend staying at Barrowburn Farm as that is a long and windy journey either before or after the race. It's a very welcome sight at half way in the race though and very difficult to get out of! I had a complete change of clothes there last year and left it revitalised.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Hi Dino...

I am also staying in Powburn (in a b&b).

Staying there the Friday and Saturday night, then spending the sunday night in Berwick. Early start Friday and hopefully in a fit state to have a bit of an explore on the sunday and Monday, hoping to see a few places such as Bamburgh Castle, Holy Island, etc.