Thread: Suunto/Android?

Suunto/Android?

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a Suunto Ambit vertical/peak and have an android phone.

Anyone had any experience of trying to use the Suunto watches with movescount app using an android phone, and Strava etc...?
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Whilst I have an iPhone now, I used the Ambit3 Peak with an Android phone for about a year. Integration with Strava is fine as that happens at the server once the move is uploaded. To be honest, the Android version of Movescount is a *lot* buggier than the iPhone version, and is a bit of a let-down; I had to unpair/re-pair the hardware and app on a frustratingly regular basis. However, the watch itself is solid; absolutely no complaints. The app may have improved in the 6 months since I switched over to iPhone.

Hi, I have an ambit 3 peak with an andriod phone - you literally just use the phone to sync your runs to strava etc then it's fine.
    I've had a lot of trouble with pairing and syncing and I have to say the problem is with the phone - it wouldn't sync after the phone paired with my car, I'd have to reboot my phone, then it would sync... mostly - this was with a OnePlus 3 (phone) since I often run with an old Samsung galaxy s5 for mapping (it's waterproof and the battery lasts a week) I paired with this phone and it's solid, it always syncs and it syncs quicker, so I'm inclined to think the bluetooth quality on andriod phones varies.
    Like someone else said the A3P is solid and accurate. I've had it for 2+ years and I've only had to reboot it once, I had to youtube how to do it too.
    the Mrs recently got a Suunto spartan trainer(not the ultra) and for the money it's excellent, if you can live with a shorter battery and no altimeter or compass.

Rob.

Thanks that's good news as I've just ordered an Ambit 3 peak. Was only wanting to use my android phone to upload onto Strava really and maybe adjust the GPS frequency settings if I'm away from home. I'd do anything else on my laptop.

As an update, I got the Ambit 3 peak and am very pleased with it. It does sync with my android phone too, just takes a little while sometimes and has to be left right next to the phone. Only a minor issue really and a great watch overall. I plug it straight into my laptop mostly anyway.

I've got the original ambit (with the lead to connect it to your pc) - theres an app called ambit connect which is supposed to allow you to download to movescount via your phone using USB 'on the go' but I've never succeeded in getting it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I've got the original ambit (with the lead to connect it to your pc) - theres an app called ambit connect which is supposed to allow you to download to movescount via your phone using USB 'on the go' but I've never succeeded in getting it to work.
    Hi Mark - I've had a look at Ambit connect app and got it to work to sync to strava but not with Movescount. I got myself a USB to micro USB adapter on ebay for 1.75 and it worked OK. Seems like OK for Strava or to save the GPX file but not movescount. Guess you could upload it to movescount manually afterwards but is a bit of a faff.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Thanks Will - I've only just seen your reply. I suspect the issue might be my pretty basic smartphone - it never detects the watch so cant sync anything to anywhere.