Thread: Ireland's Hardest Route?

Ireland's Hardest Route?

The “longest, hardest, high level walk” in Ireland was how Paddy Dillon described a route across the summit of the Mangertons and Dunkerrons in South Kerry in his book “The Mountains of Ireland”. The challenge involves 91.5km with 7,640m of ascent across the summits of 46 mountains in some of the most difficult terrain in the country. The route was discussed over the years on mountainviews.ie, the definitive reference for all Irish hills and mountains. More recently while compiling an article on the matter, mountainviews.ie member Peter Walker posed a question on the West Cork Trail Runners page on Facebook - would be possible to run it inside 24 hours. Well if you want to be the first, here's the map, contact us on the West Cork page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328...8155124942898/

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    The “longest, hardest, high level walk” in Ireland was how Paddy Dillon described a route across the summit of the Mangertons and Dunkerrons in South Kerry in his book “The Mountains of Ireland”. The challenge involves 91.5km with 7,640m of ascent across the summits of 46 mountains in some of the most difficult terrain in the country. The route was discussed over the years on mountainviews.ie, the definitive reference for all Irish hills and mountains. More recently while compiling an article on the matter, mountainviews.ie member Peter Walker posed a question on the West Cork Trail Runners page on Facebook - would be possible to run it inside 24 hours. Well if you want to be the first, here's the map, contact us on the West Cork page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328...8155124942898/
    Wow!! Well you have done it now Conor74. It does look an amazing route and I'm guessing there will be quite a few looking to be the 1st. Not me, I'll cheer on and support haha.
    That route is going to get many a fell runner drooling. MrRTS will be plotting that on his Routebuddy later today ;-) Super stuff!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    Wow!! Well you have done it now Conor74. It does look an amazing route and I'm guessing there will be quite a few looking to be the 1st...
    It is pretty stunning, have run all the summits in various outings, have hiked that route over a few days...but running it in one go would be seriously tough. I know a couple of UK Runners who did the Kerry Way Ultra, which is c190km at a lower level on trails, and said the thing that they never really took into consideration was the terrain. I guess the rainfall here in the SW means the ground is always that little bit heavier, even more so than the east of the country, and that will take its toll on those very long outings. Looking for sponsorship right now, if someone from here or the UK is going take the time and expense to travel to Kerry to have a crack and pioneer a new route like this, we think it only right that there be some reward more than just a pat on the back and a firm handshake!

Just had a peek at Sheet 78 of OSI which covers from the smaller tops just SW of Knocknagantee to Mangerton Mountain itself (the Irish appear to have a knack of naming a mountain range after the principal peak in the range?). It looks an impressive undertaking.
    Are you able to list the actual tops that must be visited, please?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Will do alright, will put it together and get back to you. Will list them East to West...I just think it would be easier running "down" the peninsula and facing the sea rather than running West to East.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor74 View Post
    Will do alright, will put it together and get back to you. Will list them East to West...I just think it would be easier running "down" the peninsula and facing the sea rather than running West to East.
    Although you would be running 'into' the Irish west coast weather!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

You know, it's prompted a lot of interest, I live in the area, a few outstanding ultra runners here have expressed interest...and you're the first person to make that point. And it's a very valid one, the prevailing wind here IS from the South West so if it's breezy then East to West would definitely be more challenging. In summer, obviously the optimum time to attempt it, that should be less of an issue, but will say it to others who are involved in the planning and see what they think. Maybe for the first ones to try it we'll let them decide, the route itself is challenging enough without adding to potential difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Are you able to list the actual tops that must be visited, please?
    Here you go...a list of the summits, going West to East, along with distance and ascent...for details on individual summits see mountainviews.ie...

https://mountainviews.ie/summit/55/

Glanbeg: 2km, 360m
    An Bheann Mhór: 1.5km, 230m
    Beann na Stiocairí: 0.75km, 20m
    Coomcallee: 3.5km, 120m
    Slievenashaska: 4km, 250m
    Cnoc Breasail: 2km, 240m
    Knocknagantee: 1.75km, 140m
    Knockmoyle: 2km, 120m
    Coomura Mountain: 1.75km, 120m
    Coomnacronia: 2.25km, 120m
    An Corrán: 1.75km, 90m
    Sallagh South-West Top: 0.75km, 30m
    Caora Bhán: 0.5km, 60m
    Beann Far SW Top: 1.25km, 120m
    Beann SW Top: 0.75km, 50m
    Beann South Top: 1km, 80m
    Beann: 1km, 180m
    Beann NE Top: 0.75km, 40m
    Mullaghnattin: 1km, 190m
    Mullaghanattin East Top: 1km, 40m
    (Mullaghanattin East Top to Ballaghbeama Gap: 0.75km)
    Knockaunanattin W Top: 0.75km, 210m
    Knockaunanattin: 1.5km, 150m
    Stumpa Dúloigh SW Top: 1km, 150m
    Stumpa Dúloigh: 1km, 190m
    (Out and back to) Broaghnabinnia: 6km, 650m
    Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top: 0.5km, 20m
    (Stumpa Dúloigh SE Top to road above Owenreagh River: 2km)
    Knocklomena: 2km, 390m
    Bascadh West Top: 2.25km, 260m
    Bascadh: 1km, 100m
    Cnoc na gCapall: 1km, 80m
    Boughil: 0.75km, 90m
    Doire Gharb: 2km, 120m
    (Doire Gharb to Moll's Gap: 0.75km)
    Derrygarriff: 1.75km, 280m
    Peakeen Mountain Far North-West Top: 2.5km, 180m
    Peakeen Mountain North-West Top: 0.25km, 20m
    Peakeen Mountain West Top: 0.25km, 30m
    Peakeen Mountain: 1.5km, 120m
    Knockanaguish: 2km, 200m
    Knockrower: 2.5km, 270m
    Knockbrack: 2km, 130m
    Dromderalough: 1.25km, 90m
    Dromderalough NE Top: 1.25km, 70m
    Mangerton: 1.75km, 220m
    Mangerton N Top: 1.25km, 70m
    Stoompa: 3.75km, 210m
    Bennaunmore: 4.5km, 240m
    Crohane SW Top: 1km, 280m
    Crohane: 1.25km, 220m
    (Crohane to road east of Loch Guitane: 5km)

Total distance (no diversions): 91.5km, 7640m ascent
    Last edited by Conor74; 10-02-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Flipping hell, good heavens, blooming heck!!

Cheers Conor74. Obviously I can predict another bout of "map fondling" on OSI Sheet 78, just to see how many are on that sheet.