Thread: Heartbeat Hobble

Heartbeat Hobble

I apologise in advance for being so predictable but when I find myself racing from the village that was used as the main film set for one of the most popular TV programmes of yesteryear, the inevitable will materialise:

Heartbeat
    Why do you miss when my baby kisses me?
    Heartbeat
    Why does a love kiss stay in my memory?

Whilst I’m reminiscing about the classic British drama that was Heartbeat, one thing springs to mind: whatever did happen to Nick Berry who played the village copper? .....I never thought that question would pop up in a fell race ‘report’.

I think my mum had a soft spot for Nick and his clean cut demeanour. She’d often say, “oh he is handsome that Nick Berry”.....I’d look over at my dad who’d roll his eyes....I’d laugh.

Only last night....25 plus years after the first showing of Heartbeat...we’re out as a family celebrating my parents 50th wedding anniversary. I told them I was racing in the morning from where Heartbeat was filmed...my dad said, “ Goathland, lovely part of the world”...my mum said, “oh Nick Berry was handsome”.....my dad rolled his eyes, I laughed.

Typical of many of the races around North Yorkshire Moors the race registration is from the organisers car parked up on the edge of the moor. I love this low key feel that’s synonymous with fellrunning, especially around these parts...the late great Dave Parry’s race registration from the passenger seat of his car will forever go down in fellrunning folklore....it’s heartwarming to see Dave’s tradition being carried on.

It was nice seeing my fellow Chorley teammate Graham also doing the race, Graham was having a weekend away with his wife and there just so happened to be a fell race in the area....it’s not only me then that books holidays around races, I like your style Graham. More friendly faces appeared in the form of our friends from Yorkshire, the Crabtree’s....I was surprised to see them, they however weren’t that surprised to see me, “typical, Fishwick’s here” was Karen’s response.

The race is new to the calendar and looked to attract a pretty good turnout, I’ve not seen any results as yet but would estimate that maybe 120+ turned up. Race favourite was Harry Holmes and just for good measure Harry ran around the full 7 mile course BEFORE the race. He then consequently flew around the course again during the race leaving us to marvel at the talents this young athlete is showing....Harry then went and did another 6 miles and was back in time for the presentation...respect.

The course is far better than it looks on the map. I’d envisaged a relatively flat route with not too many difficulties to be encountered...I really need to be more vigilant when studying race maps. In truth it was reasonably flat with no stiff climbs, I’d got that bit right, as all the ascents were gradual and tended to weave between the moorland heather. However underfoot conditions were boggy and made for some tricky sections where my choice of Trail shoes was less the favourable....especially on the run down from the last checkpoint.

On the day the weather was very kind, yes the ‘beast from the east’ that we keep getting warned about was offering up a cold breeze, but it turned out beltin with fantastic clarity throughout. The course was really well marked out and apart from a section along an access road near the woods I really enjoyed the route...certainly more ‘off road’ and less on trails than some of the other races I’ve encountered over this way.

I was back from the race before my wife, she’d gone for a walk in a pair of my trainers, as she’d forgotten to bring her own. I’m 3 sizes bigger than Alison and she looked like a Hobbit....when she got back I asked her if she’d found the ring, I’ll not repeat what she said.

I wasn’t pleased with how I’d ran, I told Alison I wasn’t fully focused and couldn’t get the Heartbeat song out of my head, causing me to be below par. She disagreed and said it’s more likely the fact I raced Friday night (Mr Sparkles Dark un) and Saturday (High cup Nick)...no sorry love, it was definitely the song.

Many thanks to Race organiser David and all his helpers...especially Bob, always a pleasure.

In case you’re wondering: Nick Berry no longer acts, he runs his own business and in his spare time supports West Ham....it could be worse, he could support Middlesbrough...sorry Bob.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Great write up Daz.
    Ever thought about writing a book about all your races? ''Fishwicking the Summits'', or something like that. Would be worth a fortune in a few years time :-)
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Great write up Daz.
    Ever thought about writing a book about all your races? ''Fishwicking the Summits'', or something like that. Would be worth a fortune in a few years time :-)
    Hiya Mark

I think I'll just stick to the running.

The race where every loser wins?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    The race where every loser wins?
    Haha Simon

Every loser wins....Blimey how bad was Nick Berry the singer?
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Great write up Daz.
    Unfortunately the rainforests wouldn’t survive such a book...
    @Hill_Runner on twitter