Thread: New Musical Express RIP

New Musical Express RIP

Sad news, the final New Musical Express will be published on Friday. As a teenager the two main music papers I'd buy were the NME and Melody Maker. In 1976/7 when punk appeared I ditched MM as it seemed not to embrace Rotten and co. It was a great time in the music scene with Burchill, Morley and Parsons writing for the NME. The last issue I read was a free copy being handed out at the HMV store.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...d-into-silence

Ah yes. Inky fingers and the snarky prose of Charles shaar Murray. Gone the way of ovaltine and jammy dodgers. Another pillar of our collective experience bites the dust.

Super Moderator
    I’ve not seen NME for decades but was an avid reader in the days of Joy Division, London Calling, Echo and the Bunnymen etc

Ah yes, many hours spent in the Student Union on Oxford Road reading the NME when I should have been in lectures!

Sign of the times I suppose - first the Guardian goes tabloid then this...

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I’ve not seen NME for decades but was an avid reader in the days of Joy Division, London Calling, Echo and the Bunnymen etc
    Well it was all a bit rubbishy after about 1966.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I've browsed the NME in the past but was always more of a Sounds and Kerrang type of reader....progressive rock, classic rock, new wave of British heavy metal...way before I'd ever seen the marvellous Fellrunner mag.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 08-03-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Thursday was the best day of the week

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well it was all a bit rubbishy after about 1966.
    Yes, I quit bothering with NME when they stopped doing in depth reviews of Lonnie Donegan concerts.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    I thought of you ‘sticks when I heard Slayer on 6 Music yesterday. You up to a hundred races this year yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I thought of you ‘sticks when I heard Slayer on 6 Music yesterday. You up to a hundred races this year yet?
    The mighty Slayer....one of my favourite thrash bands. I had Slayer playing on a loop whilst decorating and eventually I had to change the music to something more relaxing. Slayers speed and power was causing me to do slapdash decorating.
    Uriah Heep lowered the tone and brought the decorating back on track.

Only 100...haha