A couple of recent facebook/forum posts prompted me to ask the question... is GPS now accepted/allowed in fell races?

I saw a post on here asking about gpx tracks for Haworth Hobble. Then a laughable post on facebook asking if the Edale Skyline was marked (followed by predictable facebook answers of 'just follow the guy in front'). Then a question direct to the organisers of the Skyline asking is GPS could be carried, and the answer along the lines of it wouldn't be a problem...

If this is the stance of the organisers, Dark Peak, who I would see as one of the 'old school' of fell running values, is this now acceptable in traditional fell races?

I'll admit I've carried a gps on the 10 Peaks, and plan to on the Cheviot Goat and the UTS 100. These all being events where it is specifically mentioned in the rules or race details, and on at least one of these, I know it's a mandatory item.

And on races like the Spine and Dragon's Back it's pretty much accepted, and again compulsory at least on the Spine.

But what about your traditional fell races (Ennerdale, Wasdale, Edale, etc)? I've never even considered it on races like these, but everyone seems to have gps watches now, so how can it be policed if people are following a route or checking their location on a watch/phone/hand held device?

I'm certainly someone who thinks navigation by hand is a huge part of fell racing (and have recently started using a thumb-compass). But if everyone else i'm racing against is using electronic means, then why am I disadvantaging myself? It is a race after all...

Obviously no substitution for carrying and being able to use a map & compass, etc, etc. And I know there are races which specifically forbid gps means.

Interested what people think about this issue.