Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS in fell races

I just follow the person in front. If they are using GPS would I also be disqualified?

Quote Originally Posted by wjb View Post
    I just follow the person in front. If they are using GPS would I also be disqualified?
    Yes but not for cheating but collusion.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    I have spoken to two different Mountain Rescue team members in the last couple of days - one from the Coniston Team, the other from Ambleside.
    Do they use map/compass? Don't be silly, they use GPS/Mobile Phone like almost everybody else, backed up by Sarloc.
    They do carry a map and compass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have spoken to two different Mountain Rescue team members in the last couple of days - one from the Coniston Team, the other from Ambleside.
    Do they use map/compass? Don't be silly, they use GPS/Mobile Phone like almost everybody else, backed up by Sarloc.
    They do carry a map and compass.
    What has that got to do with Fell Races?

My view is that GPS should be allowed in Fell races if people feel the need to use it to keep themselves safe.

If we sign to say we accept the risks of Fell running and our safety is our own responsibility then surely ROs shouldn’t be banning GPS?

I can’t really see the unfair advantage argument as I doubt there are many examples of people winning races because they have used GPS and it’s available to everyone anyway.

I tend to use a map anyway as I don’t really enjoy following a line on my watch and I feel more aware of my surroundings if I follow a map and therefore safer.

The competition goes on down the ranks as well as at the front.

With a map the idea is that you know roughly where you are on it before you get lost, if the clan is down a map is pretty useless unless if you are completely lost. In these circumstances I have no problem with using a GPS to get yourself out of trouble.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    What has that got to do with Fell Races?
    It is just an interesting contrast to those who say, some with almost religious conviction, that a map and compass is the safest/best option. I agree with the thinking that navigating using stored data on a GPS device makes it a completely different event, and that ROs of fell races should be able to ban this, despite the difficulties in policing it. Using a GPS for time/altitude/distance covered/as a compass should, in my opinion, all be permitted. A map/compass should of course always be carried. Belt and braces.
    Last edited by Mike T; 18-05-2018 at 06:10 AM.

This will be quietly abandoned pretty quickly - just not enforceable.

I agree Pat. It feels a bit like King Canute!
    The purist in me says it goes against the grain to use GPS for navigation and keeping to a pre-set 'fastest line' but the realist in me knows this will happen anyway. Imagine if the FRA came into being post-invention of GPS - surely it would embrace it and insist on it?
    The old bugbear is, of course, equipment failure. When the batteries go flat you're stuffed. So, I guess the future position will be that map and compass will remain as mandatory kit as a back-up to GPS.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

May as well accept drugs in cycling then, or perhaps we already have if your careful.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run