Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS in fell races

I think theres a difference between technology that enables you to run faster/further - eg lighter kit, better shoes, and technology that removes part of the skill element required to compete. Its always the same analogy for me and I've said it before - GPS use in races is like bolting a traditional classic lakes rock climb. If you cant do the climb without bolts then go away and do something less difficult. By all means come back and do the original climb when you have the skill, experience and abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I think theres a difference between technology that enables you to run faster/further - eg lighter kit, better shoes, and technology that removes part of the skill element required to compete. Its always the same analogy for me and I've said it before - GPS use in races is like bolting a traditional classic lakes rock climb. If you cant do the climb without bolts then go away and do something less difficult. By all means come back and do the original climb when you have the skill, experience and abilities.
    What he said :-)

I decided to try it out at the weekend during a race I'd run many times. I had downloaded a trace from someone else's race from a few years ago and wanted to see if I could follow it during an actual race. However, on the day, I wasn't sure how to both navigate and tell my watch to start tracking my activity. In the end, I did the latter, which seemed to delete the navigation bit.

So it seems a level of technical competence is required before I can join this club of rule benders.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I decided to try it out at the weekend during a race I'd run many times. I had downloaded a trace from someone else's race from a few years ago and wanted to see if I could follow it during an actual race. However, on the day, I wasn't sure how to both navigate and tell my watch to start tracking my activity. In the end, I did the latter, which seemed to delete the navigation bit.

So it seems a level of technical competence is required before I can join this club of rule benders.
    Noel, dont' join the club. Stick to your technical incompetence and your fellcraft competence :-) With luck others will follow your rule nonbending :-)

Personally still prefer reccying or map and compass, but some folk who maybe don't have the opportinity/time might feel safer with GPS as a back-up, not to navigate round the course but maybe if they get lost and just want to get back on the right track. I'm not saying i agree with it but I can understand why some would do it, and if its not breaking the rules I would'nt have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy42 View Post
    Personally still prefer reccying or map and compass, but some folk who maybe don't have the opportinity/time might feel safer with GPS as a back-up, not to navigate round the course but maybe if they get lost and just want to get back on the right track. I'm not saying i agree with it but I can understand why some would do it, and if its not breaking the rules I would'nt have a problem with it.
    I think a distinction might be drawn between using a GPS device to stay safe and using one to get an advantage over race rivals to win prizes/medals.

As to rules: rules follow abuses and cases eg EPO wasn't illegal in cycling until riders started using it to advantage and then a rule had to be introduced and in fell running until Ted Pepper died in the 1978 3Peaks race there were no FRA safety rules but for the last 40 years there have been.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I too will always use a map and compass for fell running - its probably be an age thing but I am more comfortable with that anyway. I generally will have recced the route anyway and in bad weather, will write any significant bearings on the back of my hand for quick reference. I do carry a GPS enabled phone in my bum bag and have on occasion (though not in races) used it to determine my current grid reference when in thick cloud but then referred back to the map and compass. I also have the OS Map app installed but generally only use this when walking in areas I'm unfamiliar with and can't be bothered to keep getting the map out.

I wonder if the use of GPS has been raised to the FRA committee. There is certainly a case that could be made that in certain circumstances, individuals could gain an advantage over rivals in a race.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I wonder if the use of GPS has been raised to the FRA committee. There is certainly a case that could be made that in certain circumstances, individuals could gain an advantage over rivals in a race.
    see post 8 in this thread (first page)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I think a distinction might be drawn between using a GPS device to stay safe and using one to get an advantage over race rivals to win prizes/medals.
    & there is the crux of the matter.

The hubby and I are so pleased this is being debated in a calm and orderly manner. As yet, on this thread no one has said "I used it in NI". We know it was used, so by not admitting it it shows that the ones that did use it know it was not the right thing to do. I really hope this thread does not get swept under the carpet just to get resurrected in a few races time when it happens again.

I think it's more likely that people who used GPS in the race in question just haven't seen the thread, or perhaps aren't even forum members. I count approx. 20 different forumites who have commented on this thread, and i guess only a fraction of them were racing in the race in question. This represents a small percentage of both the forum, the race in question, and the fellrunning community as a whole.

Although it would certainly be interesting and perhaps helpful to hear the opposite view of a strong case for using GPS.

On a slightly related note, i'm doing the UTS100 race in a couple of weeks (which in fact is GPS backup compulsory rather than just acceptable), and given the quite stringent entry criteria, i'm absolutely amazed at some of the questions fired at the organiser on their facebook page. The usual "what shoes to wear", "how easy is the route to follow" "where are the aid points" (i'd have thought that Pen-y-Pass didn't need much more description to pinpoint it's location!).

My personal favourite, a guy expressing dismay on seeing a photo of the Nantlle ridge, that it was too high, exposed and steep, and he wouldn't be able to manage it! although i think he was possibly on the 50 mile race with a lower entry standard, but should still be a competent mountain runner according to the requirements of the race).