Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS in fell races

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    424 comments on the Facebook page currently. Most of them frothing at the mouth.
    Presumably their faith in the infallibility and reliability of GPS devices is matched by their delusion that FB is a secure not for profit community service created by an altruistic benefactor.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

just went over to FB for a look...first post is asking for shoe advice: Inov8 or Walshes.
    Oh, how I laughed.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Having spent this morning flicking through the 400-odd comments on the FB page, I'd say about 1/2 are of the tenor of "learn how to read a map, stupid young'uns", with a further 1/4 agreeing with the move but suggesting that Ambleside's approach might not be the clearest.

Traditionalism is alive and well in fell running, it seems.

I cannot decide on a present for a novice fell runner.

Should it be a copy of Stud Marks so they can appreciate the true values of the sport and its heritage or...

...a GPS which they can use to destroy every tradition fell running stands for?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

All very funny - unbridled schadenfreude (I looked it up!)on here, and Facebook frothing on there...

Ban 'banning things', I say! Agree they shouldn't be used for Nav - but soft power not banning is the way forward.
    Will Meredith - Pennine

Having read the rationale behind AAC's decision, I think it's pretty much bang on save one small point:
    They state that 'Navigating yourself around the course' is an integral point of fell running.
    I would say that navigation in itself not the point of a fell race, but that Fell craft/fell'person'ship is most definitely a part of fell running - in middle/long races especially. Of course mountain navigation is a part of fell craft but not the be-all and end-all.

Maybe a focus on people having the required fellcraft to look after themselves on the fell - this IMO takes in to account people packing extra layers if the weather is poor, knowing when to drop out, how to get yourself around the course/off the mountain safely. I feel this is something many people lack.

In a world of instant gratification people are wanting to take on big stuff immediately and not really willing to learn their 'trade' on their short local fell races before going big (especially when the Lakes/Scotland are involved).
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

One guy has just stated "They should give free maps if they have changed the rules the day before the race." I laugh snorted tea down my nose at that one. COMPULSORY KIT!! Always a rule. So that guy was going to rock up with no map no compass and follow his little arrow then. This is brilliant. I'm so pleased this is bringing out issues like this. Bit of a lurker on FB now. :-)

also worth noting that someone seen at the front of championship races was spotted at a lakes evening orienteering event earlier this week. Bit of practise working on the basics (though lakeland O terrain is not basic! - that stuff is saved for the fell runners )

I generally think that, to make things a bit easier for people, it would be handy for races to have a navigable map available online. Not everyone has my mad bing maps, screenshot and inkscape/photoshop skills...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post

I generally think that, to make things a bit easier for people, it would be handy for races to have a navigable map available online. Not everyone has my mad bing maps, screenshot and inkscape/photoshop skills...
    Mmmh. I could point you in the direction of a recently emerged business opportunity.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Some very sanctimonious posts on here!

The AAC decision has brought the debate to the fore - which can only be a good thing. Yes there are some right plums on FB, but we'd be naive to think they weren't already running in races and get to the end more by chance than by use of pue "fell-craft". I posted this:

Wow - if nothing else this has definitely stirred up the debate! Even though I don't agree with all of the rules on the list, I think Ambleside are at least taking a stance and raising awareness and the fell running community needs to consider the implications.

Where do you draw the line on use of technology though? After all, even a paper map and a compass rely on "technology" or we'd all need to read moss or the stars to get round! Most maps are now produced using GPS information.. Compasses are not infallible.

Personally, I think using a GPS device to tell you where to run is unethical, but using one to relocate yourself on a map before you unknowingly drift into hypothermia is sensible (and that doesn't necessarily mean you have managed to make a rational decision that it is an emergency situation yet!).

GPS watches are so widely available now that the option is there for anyone to use them if they think it gives an advantage - just like a sticky rubber stud, or a 100g waterproof. Proper recceing will always still be quicker, as is reading the ground and knowing where your strengths are, so it's not a major advantage. Rather than try to fight the technology, I think it should be embraced with sensible rules to try and manage it fairly and ethically.

Bob Graham trained barefoot and ran his round in PJs and plimsolls - should we all abandon any sort of technological advance made since then and be doing the same? Perhaps knowing which side of a boulder the moss is growing on instead of a compass or a 1920s 1 inch to 1 mile map instead of an accurate GPS based modern OS?

Yes, we need rules and ethics that protect and reinforce what the spirit of fell-running is about, but not hypocrisy, luddism and sneering at those who don't yet know better.