Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS in fell races

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'll buy into ba-ba's plan however many points it is. Seems like a sensible approach to me.

I agree. I'm still in two minds regarding what to do for the first running of the new Pennine AL in September. I'm leaning towards letting people use GPS if they want. It's not like it will tell them the best line, or how to avoid the bracken.

Noel three of us done it as far as Mill Hill last night, the heather was a right nightmare in places. It could be a right challange by September.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Noel three of us done it as far as Mill Hill last night, the heather was a right nightmare in places. It could be a right challange by September.
    Excellent.

Or perhaps, yikes

I agree with Ba Ba's points of view but my personal opinion is that GPS should be banned for race navigational purposes. However, whatever the outcome, I hope, especially if it is left to the discretion of RO's, that whether it is to be used or not is clearly shown on race entry information and on the FRA list of races.
    It will not be good enough for it to be decided on the day, similar to kit requirements sometimes are, because I certainly do not want to travel to a race and have a wasted journey when I find out that GPS will be allowed.

I think the general consensus on here is that if a runner has not a clue about the route and has to rely 100% on the little arrow on the screen he is not going to be competitive as he will have to slow down so much becasue he is not able to watch the ground. He will probably spend half the day tripping over rocks and back-tracking becasue the resolution of the screen is not good enough to identify precisly where to turn.

How can somebody like that destroy your day so much that you have a wasted journey?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I think the general consensus on here is that if a runner has not a clue about the route and has to rely 100% on the little arrow on the screen he is not going to be competitive as he will have to slow down so much becasue he is not able to watch the ground. He will probably spend half the day tripping over rocks and back-tracking becasue the resolution of the screen is not good enough to identify precisly where to turn.
    On a good day, yes I agree. However serious amounts of clag, and I'm thinking Black Coombe that last time I did it, and GPS is then a distinct advantage.
    I also think the concensus on here think that GPS is not generally in keeping with the nature of the sport where route choice and navigation are integral to the nature of the event.

I certainly would not let it destroy my day as I would go for a run nearby.
    I agree that in the majority of races GPS would probably not have a massive competitive advantage but in a pea souper with horizontal rain blowing in I think a pre loaded GPS route might have an advantage. I was not at the Mourne Highline but understand that use of GPS certainly had an impact on the results and have spoken to one runner who was there who has not raced since.
    I'll repeat my point that if GPS is to be allowed in any FRA race then that race MUST advertise the fact prior to the event so that all runners can make an informed decision whether to take part or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'll repeat my point that if GPS is to be allowed in any FRA race then that race MUST advertise the fact prior to the event so that all runners can make an informed decision whether to take part or not.
    Llani Boy,I can fully appreciate your sentiments, but following that line of action will surely mean that 'the old school' surrender that race (and ultimately the sport itself) to 'the new upstarts'?

Surely better that a ground swell of old school opinion has the FRA banning GPS from all FRA registered races?
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 23-06-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Surely better that a ground swell of old school opinion has the FRA banning GPS from all FRA registered races?[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly, with a total ban as my preferred option.