Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS in fell races

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I think using a pre-loaded GPS route on a watch or other device in a race is plain wrong,
    Is it any more wrong than following somebody you know will have good route knowledge?

In fact it is probably less wrong, because unless you go out and reccied the route, your gpx plot will not contain an optimal route. While following a knowledgeable runner will lead you on an optimal route.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 18-04-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Is it any more wrong than following somebody you know will have good route knowledge?

In fact it is probably less wrong, because unless you go out and reccied the route, your gpx plot will not contain an optimal route. While following a knowledgeable runner will lead you on an optimal route.

It's all a matter of perception ie my "cheating" is your "marginal gain."
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Unless there are rules against it, it's not cheating. I'm tempted to use GPS in an upcoming race, as there's a little short-cut that most people take, but I normally miss (I've done the race many times), and it would be nice to get it right this year.

If people are allowed to reccie the course, surely GPS is along the same lines - and I would suggest not as good because you don't benefit from the feel of the route or the actual training.

I do look to the future of the sport and it disappoints me that there will be an inevitable move towards a whole field of runners without nav ability, who blindly follow their GPS like sat nav. So route choice and nav errors will be reduced. For me, that's part of the challenge of fell racing.

The problem is that, although we don't want to see a situation like this, it's very hard to legislate against it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post

Is someone with good route knowledge 100% going to be able to find that optimal line even when the visibility is down to a few meters as it was on Saturday? Probably not. Is the GPS watch going to be able to? As long as it has satellites, yes.

Finding .gpx files of optimal routes is easy enough. e.g. It's not hard to trawl Strava looking for the winning route from previous years or other people's recces, which I know people do!

Is someone with good route knowledge 100% going to be able to find that optimal line even when the visibility is down to a few meters as it was on Saturday? Probably not. Is the GPS watch going to be able to? As long as it has satellites, yes.
    Agree here, also ripping a .gpx track off (which is why some of my more 'useful' GPS traces are now hidden).

In response to 'isn't following someone you know knows the route the same thing' - I refer to the point above, but also that following someone in a race scenario is an in-race tactical decision and part of racing - when to follow, when to take a slightly different line, when to hold back and when to push on.
    Deciding that you will listen to your watch beeping every time you go off-line, whilst in some ways a tactical decision, is pre-emptive and not a racing decision.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'm tempted to use GPS in an upcoming race, as there's a little short-cut that most people take, but I normally miss (I've done the race many times), and it would be nice to get it right this year.
    Sandy Heys?

Moral Advice Sought For A Friend Who

Is entering a Championship Counter he has never run but he does own a Garmin.

Is a personal friend of the multi-time winner of said race who has agreed to walk him round the optimum line so he can record optimum route on his Garmin.

Then on race day even if the clag is down to two yards he will be inch perfect in his route finding and pass all those faster runners floundering in the mist.

My friend knows there is no rule against his planned approach but he is seeking moral guidance ie does his planned approach have the support of the Forum fell running community?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-04-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Ask the same question here and on FB and see if you get the same answer.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Only if he has a TUE

In seeking moral guidance, should he not follow his moral compass? ( or perhaps that has been usurped by a moral GPS )

Sorry, deeply unhelpful. I honestly don’t know the answer to this. Can see both sides. I don’t have a fancy watch, but live in the lakes so would rather scamper about reccein routes , which is fun and keeps me fit n that...