Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS in fell races

Quote Originally Posted by TimG View Post
    Travs, did you enter ennerdale online or by post? Just wondering if i should have received something from them. Thanks.
    Hello Tim...

I entered by post several months ago, and received an email at the weekend. I do note that the Entry List on SI Entries doesn't include my name, so I guess they are being kept separate from the postal entries.

[email protected]

Should you need to email the organiser...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    On this subject, I received confirmation of entry to Ennerdale this morning, and interesting to note that in CFRA races (Ennerdale, Wasdale, Scafell Pike), the use of GPS has been specifically prohibited in the race rules...
    Can we see/have a link to the actual wording? I have had a look but can find nothing re use of GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Can we see/have a link to the actual wording? I have had a look but can find nothing re use of GPS.

"Another point to mention is that we are stating that on CFRA races Ennerdale, Wasdale and Scafell runners cannot use smartphone / GPS devises to navigate the course. For safety reason runners can carry the devises if they wish but not use them while being competitive in the race."
    Last edited by Travs; 09-05-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Master
    "Another point to mention is that we are stating that on CFRA races Ennerdale, Wasdale and Scafell runners cannot use smartphone / GPS devises to navigate the course. For safety reason runners can carry the devises if they wish but not use them while being competitive in the race."
    Policing that will be interesting!

Thanks Travs, I entered by post too, have emailed the organiser just to double check. Don't want to arrive and find I'm not on the list (though it might give me an honourable way out...).

Judging by the Facebook page, Ambleside have followed suit for their races too.... Grest Lakes and Langdale being just two of their races.

Not surprisingly, it appears to have caused an absolute shit-storm on Facebook.

Just got email today saying no GPS to be used in Saturday's Fairfield horseshoe from Ambleside AC . I Don't use one anyway

424 comments on the Facebook page currently. Most of them frothing at the mouth.

People just have to respect the rules of the race organisers or race elsewhere, I can't see the issue.

I'm racing today where carrying (but not specifically using) a GPS is compulsory. I'd prefer if they were not allowed, but that's the rules of the race, so be it... and I'll sure as hell be using mine after 80 miles going into a 2nd night wth no sleep.

Judging by the Facebook page, Ambleside have followed suit for their races too.... Grest Lakes and Langdale being just two of their races.

Not surprisingly, it appears to have caused an absolute shit-storm on Facebook.
    It has quite cheered me up.

Ambleside's laudable decision as a highly regarded fell club and even more so the response from the facebook village fete runners.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

424 comments on the Facebook page currently. Most of them frothing at the mouth.

People just have to respect the rules of the race organisers or race elsewhere, I can't see the issue.

I'm racing today where carrying (but not specifically using) a GPS is compulsory. I'd prefer if they were not allowed, but that's the rules of the race, so be it... and I'll sure as hell be using mine after 80 miles going into a 2nd night wth no sleep.
    Let them froth so profusely that their devices drown in a sea of it