Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Domestic solar panels

My neighbour opted for a wind turbine instead. He's a Big Fan.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Hey, what goes around comes around Mossy 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    By which you mean the Govt. finally stopped shovelling money at householders to encourage them to install a grossly inefficient system...
    Which system is efficient?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Which system is efficient?
    The best is probably a log fire ...... provided you're not a 'softie' who buys in logs ( industrial scale 'processing & delivery' creates a carbon footprint ) or uses a chainsaw ..... hand cutting and chopping of wood warms you up even before you ignite the fuel.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    The best is probably a log fire
    My uncle had a small farm in Ireland, and my father bought a chainsaw. Over 30 years he felled every decent tree on that farm to heat three house. I though it was an environment crime, when you think of the hundreds of years of growth that was required for 30 yeas of heating.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    My uncle had a small farm in Ireland, and my father bought a chainsaw. Over 30 years he felled every decent tree on that farm to heat three house. I though it was an environment crime, when you think of the hundreds of years of growth that was required for 30 yeas of heating.
    DPB, you're actually quoting a very small portion of my post quite out of context without the remainder of the post.

The ethical way is not to fell 'decent' trees. There's plenty of fallen and wind-blown timber. In the laws of the ancient Forest of Bowland the commoners were only allowed to take branches that could be reached with a shepherd's crook and cut with a bill-hook. Hence the expression '...by hook or by crook....'
    As in my post above .... your father would not have actually felled the complete trees without his new fangled chainsaw, they make life too easy, too soft, hence unethical.

But granted, no heating system is efficient, some are just less inefficient than others; and most of us judge a systems inefficiency on personal cost rather than environmental impact.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 20-03-2018 at 11:33 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    DPB, you're actually quoting a very small portion of my post quite out of context without the remainder of the post.

The ethical way is not to fell 'decent' trees. There's plenty of fallen and wind-blown timber. In the laws of the ancient Forest of Bowland the commoners were only allowed to take branches that could be reached with a shepherd's crook and cut with a bill-hook. Hence the expression '...by hook or by crook....'
    As in my post above .... your father would not have actually felled the complete trees without his new fangled chainsaw, they make life too easy, too soft, hence unethical.

But granted, no heating system is efficient, some are just less inefficient than others; and most of us judge a systems inefficiency on personal cost rather than environmental impact.
    So do what we've known for 50 years is best: bash a tube in the bed of the North Sea, pipe high pressure natural gas ashore and burn it.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-03-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

So do what we've known for 50 years: bash a tube in the bed of the North Sea, pipe high pressure natural gas ashore and burn it.
    Or better still bash in a bunch of 8MW wind turbines

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Or better still bash in a bunch of 8MW wind turbines
    Ah yes. Those things that fall to bits, kill birds, offend the delicate eyes of some people and only work when the wind blows - and then not too strongly or they have to be shut down.

Fracking is the future!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-03-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Ah yes. Those things that fall to bits, kill birds, offend the delicate eyes of some people and only work when the wind blows - and then not too strongly or they have to be shut down.

Fracking is the future!
    Wind at 10mps, 8MW out, it’s the future, and the birds love em, judging by the levels of guano on some sites