Thread: Save Mortimer Forest

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Save Mortimer Forest

I've only just come across this but apparently part of the the publicly owned land managed by the forestry commission in Mortimer Forest is up for development with a proposed 68 chalet holiday park. I'm not against rural development and the benefits it can bring to the the local community but this is blatant vandalism.
    Some of you may have done the Mortimer Forest trail race which I believe is in the FRA calendar and be aware of the beautiful area already and the miriad of rare fauna and flora it supports. If so you may want to sign the petition.
    https://www.change.org/p/hereford-co...ictory.control
    Last edited by PeteS; 21-03-2018 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Factual update

signed. No need at all for this. What is wrong with some people?

Quote Originally Posted by RaceTheSweeper View Post
    signed. No need at all for this. What is wrong with some people?
    I honestly thought it was some kind of sick joke when I saw it this morning.
    This area on the Shropshire /Hertfordshire border is beautiful and I have had some memorable days out in around the forest walking, running and cycling. A development of this size - 68 chalets and associated infrastructure and utilities is just so out of keeping with the area. I hate to think of the effect this may have on the local wildlife.
    Apparently the forestry commission have tried it elsewhere. Perhaps they see it as easy money.... 🙄

Completely agree.
    An action group has been setup called "Save Mortimer Forest" to take a stand against the planning application. The website is http://www.save-mortimer-forest.co.uk The support of the fell running community would be great for the cause.

Over the years I have spent many weekends and even weeks in Forestry Commission (or the equivalent) cabins in England, Scotland and Wales, which has enabled me to run and cycle in some fantastic countryside. Not once, perhaps selfishly, have I thought that the area would be better without the said accommodation. Is there not a bit of NIMBYism going on here?

Hardly nimbyism. It's not really anyone's back yard and that is the main point here. There are no large scale or equivalent developments in the surrounding area. We are talking about 50 hectares of pristine forest that will be largely destroyed purely to line someone's pockets. There is no existing infrastructure to support this either so all of that will have to be built causing additional environmental damage outside of the main site. The effects of the additional traffic etc on the area are hard to gauge but I can't see that having a benefit either.
    As I said in my original post, I'm not against rural development and there are sites on the outskirts of ludlow that would be far more suitable candidates. Improve the facilities around the forest, attract more visitors, I have no problem with that. Just don't destroy it and everything in it to make a quick buck.