Thread: Dislocated shoulder

Dislocated shoulder

I'm sure I'm not the only person on the forum to have suffered a dislocated shoulder. Mine's also fractured (socket break). The consultant has given a 12 month schedule for rehab to as good as it'll get; driving again in a couple of months or so, strengthening not to begin for 3 or 4 months.
    Given that the mechanics of running aren't the same as (say) tennis, weightlifting or gymnastics, does anyone have experience of where starting running again might fit into this timeframe?
    Further down the line, is it worth considering a sports shoulder brace, and if so, which ones are good?
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

just keep on running, like this chap:
    http://www.wildrunner.co.za/news/201...-another-notch
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Ha! I did consider the Killian approach. But only for a nano second. Then I quickly filed it with the large number of things that he can do but I can't.
    I seem to recall Rob Jebb being out of action for a few months - 9?
    Maybe that's more my level?!?

Actually I've looked a bit more closely at the Killian episode and he's not as completely superhuman as it appears at first sight. He'd apparently dislocated his shoulders umpteen times previously. They'd have been getting increasingly weakened and prone to further dislocations; possibly a good advert for taking more time to rehab fully. Since the Hardrock 100 he's needed reconstructive surgery on both shoulders at a clinic in Barcelona.
    So, only 99% God-like...