Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley Round

Paddy Buckley Round

Anyone aiming for the PBR this year? I've been tentatively working towards it for a couple of years and this year I have a sufficient gap in my schedule and no conflicts with races so I'll be attempting it in June/July, all things being equal. I know most of the area well but want to do some more solid recce-ing so there's less hassle with navigation when the brain stops working. I'm a 12 hour 50 mile hilly ultra runner to give you an idea of speed (though have done much longer than 50's) - if you are considerably quicker or slower than me, I dont think it'll work... If anyone wants to meet up for some training recce runs, let me know. I live about 60 miles away from Snowdonia so doesn't take much for me to get there.

Attempting it on Saturday, 3 am start at Llanberis on a 23:40 schedule if you fancy it!

Master
    How did it go.

Yeah, keen to know how you got on. I was busy with a race in Romania so June is going to be the month for me, all going to plan. I'm planning on a Capel start to get the bogs and rough ground done while legs are fresh and the light is with me. The run from Elidir Fawr back to Capel is pretty straightforward so even at night should be easy enough. I'd be keen to know how bad the bog was after Moel Siabod. Last time I did it it was thigh deep in places...

So far no other takers - is this really not something many people are thinking about doing?

Quote Originally Posted by mdb View Post
    Yeah, keen to know how you got on. I was busy with a race in Romania so June is going to be the month for me, all going to plan. I'm planning on a Capel start to get the bogs and rough ground done while legs are fresh and the light is with me. The run from Elidir Fawr back to Capel is pretty straightforward so even at night should be easy enough. I'd be keen to know how bad the bog was after Moel Siabod. Last time I did it it was thigh deep in places...

So far no other takers - is this really not something many people are thinking about doing?
    I'm keen to have a crack at it - this year will be further reccie time, actual attempt next spring I reckon

Let me know if you fancy meeting up mid-week for a recce on any of the sections. I did the Capel to Aberglaslyn section this week. Dry(ish) and bogs were very mild but really hot so dehydration a problem.

I am new on this forum and I have found this as I was looking for a GPX file of the Paddy Buckley Round.

Couldn't find any introduction thread so will start to introduce myself in this thread: I am a Dutch runner and am planning to spend the summer holidays with my family in Wales this month. My plan is to make an attempt of completing the Paddy Buckley Round. I already have the Harvey map but would like to have a GPX file for my Garmin as well. I realise there are runners who are against the use of electronics for navigating but I really struggle to read maps as I have reached the age where I need reading glasses. These glasses however become very difficult to see through once the get wet by rain or sweat, so the use of a GPS device is essential for me. My plan is to do a few recce runs as well of course but it isn't possible for me to become really familiar with the route in the limited time I have.

So my question is simply, is there anyone who can point me into the direction where I can find such a file?

Any other tips/advice will be welcome as well.

Greetings, Peter

Hi Peter,

I don't use a GPS myself, but I can produce a GPX file of the route from Tracklogs mapping software. We walked the Paddy over two days last year with a wild camp between Yr Aran and Snowdon. It's a fantastic route.

If you send me a personal message via this forum with your email address then I can email the GPX to you.

Geoff

Hi Peter, send me a private message and I will post you a gpx file.

Quote Originally Posted by the Warrior View Post
    I am new on this forum and I have found this as I was looking for a GPX file of the Paddy Buckley Round.

So my question is simply, is there anyone who can point me into the direction where I can find such a file?

Any other tips/advice will be welcome as well.

Greetings, Peter

Here's a link to my strava, Peter. You can click on create route and download it as a gpx if you aren't a premium member. Just couple of notes re the gpx
    - I went over to Cnicht North top which you don't have to and can go straight to Cnicht.
    - Took a more direct line to Bryn Banog and Pen Yr Ole Wen

Have you thought about the starting point and starting time? If you want to start early to mid morning then I would go for Capel Curig but if you would like to start evening or late night I would say Llanberis. On a hindsight I would go for Llanberis to get biggish hills out of the way because I had a mare over the Glyders and Tryfan in very wet conditions trying to crawl with all 4.

All the best.

_|_
    ./\.