Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what punishment?

I'm assuming, possibly wrongly, that this was a WFRA race so only banned in those races at the moment.

I blame facebook for attracting the 'wrong sort' to fell running.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I blame facebook for attracting the 'wrong sort' to fell running.
    they'll be wanting to use GPS to nav next!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

What punishment? 3 hour lecture from Breezey. After that they'll be banning themselves from fell running for more than a year.

If anyone is interested their names are on the report in the WFRA May newsletter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    An open statement to the perpetrators:
    As a one time tail end participant in fell races, let me spell out the potential consequences of your actions.

I start an AL race, but take a tumble in a remote part of the course, while in last but one place and am immobilised. Fortunately, the final competitor stops to help me. Meanwhile the RO counts back in, all the genuine starters plus you. The totals and other basic checks agree and the RO carries out the prize giving, tidies up race HQ, etc..

Much, much later as the RO gets ready to leave the venue he notices two cars left in the field, and realises there is a problem. By now it is dusk, getting cold, and too late to mount an effective search.

On 1st May a fell runner attempting to complete a Bob Graham round did not survive his night on the fells. It is no exaggeration to state that your actions have put other people's lives at risk. I have nothing but utter contempt for you.
    I can of course see the point you are making - but a satisfactory "total" is not good enough - each and every runner needs to be cross referenced at the finish to ensure he/she has been accounted for. It is so easy for a total to be miscounted.

Utter contempt is something easily engendered by something like this. Sad fact is, anyone who can act in this way is probably too self centered to be bothered by contempt. Removing them from the sport is the only way to prevent a recurrence.

What I really struggle with is why they chose to run through the funnel. I mean what did they hope to gain??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Yes Mike, there are several other techniques, e.g. race number matrix, which must be employed to ensure all competitors are accounted for. I process results for many races each year amounting to some 2500 competitors, and provide various controls for both the start and finish. For example, as used at the Todd Crag Junior Championship race hosted by your club. However, to go into details detracts from my point that it only takes one, or in this case, two idiots to undermine the best efforts of the RO and his team to look after their competitors.
    In your scenario, despite the "matching" totals, the cross referencing system in use would have told the RO that 2 runners were still on the fell, and exactly who they were. This is absolutely crucial - sorry again to stress the point in this context.
    I do not know all the facts here but if they only got a 3 month ban I think they they got off very lightly.

It has been made clear that my scenario above could not possibly happen, and therefore my point is invalid and has no merit. I withdraw my statement (now deleted).
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Super Moderator
    5,000 laps of Skipton parkrun course (I’ve just done four this morning) and then forced to read alwaysinjured’s post on here in the entirety without skipping anything

Q: Can RO’s van individuals from their event(s) irrespective of controlling body’s findings?

Master
    Should be a lifetime ban
    The older I get the Faster I was