Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red Rose 50 2018

Ah that’s a shame. Were you in the dark by then? I got thru in daylight and only made one small error there shortly after the ruin and gulley with the stream/ path. Fortunately I knew the area enough to head due south and was back on route in under a km. I had receded bits too as like you I find reading the description on the go hard work, so ok for short sections but not for 50 miles.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar
    In the dark? Yes, in more ways than one! It was close to midnight by then. Earlier we were very glad of the lights on the canes across the moorland path above Darwen.

I uploaded the GPX for the route onto this site http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php Then using Microsoft Paint I created the maxiumum size canvas it would allow, and took a load of screen dumps (using SnippingTool.exe that is part of windows) to paste onto the canvas. I printed that off at 75% of orginal size that came to about 8 A4 size pages. Put those into plastic sleeves and used them all day.

I fell happier using a map rather than those LDWA route descriptions, which I had as well, just in case!
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 20-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.

WE subscribe to OS maps on line. It’s only £20 a year, for as many devices as you like. We have the facility to print on waterproof paper at A4 . Both Bob and I had maps, as we had receded most of it I only had 1:50,000
    He had maps, description but also on his smart phone he could call,up the map, with the box and zoom in to an exaggerated 1:25,000 which is brilliant if you don’t know the area.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar
    Did anyone come a cropper on the dangerous stiles that were mentioned beforehand? I'd completely forgotten about that when I tackled a sloping one, slipped, and cracked my shin on it. Hurt a bit but didn't notice again much until the next day, when any touch was excruciating. Ice and rest brought the swelling down but I couldn't feel my hand on half of my shin and half of foot. Doc said I'd bruised the bone, with the swelling pinching the nerve resulting in the loss of feeling, and that continuing with the icing should cure it.

Nope, but even stiles that are in good condition are treacherous when wet and greasy, so I treat all stiles with care. Having said that I ignored my own rule a few weeks ago when going around the HPM route, and tried to take a stile at a run. I was soo lucky when the foot "went" and I somehow landed on my back on the peat rather than half landing on the style.

Dr Patrick Barry, snap, just what I was going to say.

It sounds as though DrPB slipped off the stile in style and Karen would have done the same. As long as the peat's soft, that's all that matters. :-)

Nothing exciting I'm afraid. I went down to Brother-in-law with my dog not realising guard dog was out. Guard dog stuck into my dog and I got bite a couple of times in the successful rescue. Wounds got badly infected which resulted in a two month lay off and doing the RR50 with no training :-). Brother Pat was well impressed with my battle scars :-)
    Quote: "Pain is weakness leaving the body"