Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Rose 50 2018

Post Red Rose 50 2018

After much effort, East Lancs LDWA have fine-tuned the updated route for this year's Red Rose 50. We listened to the feedback from 2017 entrants and have made significant route adjustments which reduces the distance from 54+ miles to a few hundred yards above 50 miles. We have taken out the hard nighttime slog across Wet Moss and around Bull Hill. The route has now been tested and gpx file available for those who would like to recce.
    As always you get typical East Lancs value for money, 50 miles in the beautiful countryside of the West Pennine Moors, our renowned feeding stations at the checkpoints (typically in Village Halls) and a meal at the end for £33 (£28 for LDWA members + SI booking fee). You also have a choice of running or walking.
    More info at https://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_ev...event_id=20123 (including gpx) or enter through SI Entries at https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=4374
    Now that the route is final (subject to any last minute changes such as footpath closures), I will also be looking into getting the event ratified as a UTMB counter.
    I plan to get out on some recce runs in the next couple of weeks. If you wish to join me, please contact me.
    Gordon

Super Moderator
    Sat 15th - Sun 16th Sep 2018 limit 250

Looks good. Thanks for heads-up Gordon

No problem. I will be recovering from the GRP 82k hence offering to help co-ordinate the event.

Super Moderator
    Good luck at the 82k

We’re doing Afoot in two Dales 50 in July but could consider RR

Super Moderator
    Entered now (me and Stef). Looking forward to it

I had customers in the past over that way but have never set foot on the West Pennine Moors

Super Moderator
    When’s the GRP 82 K Gordon?

The GRP is the 24/25/26th August weekend, Andy. Carol and I are going out too to try the Ultra Trail.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Looks like there will be a few us there from our area - Albert, Michelle & Abigail Sunter, Tony Marlow and Tony Varley (but not racing). Karen Nash also entered.

As I am sure you all will know, as it was the lead national news item, Winter Hill has suffered great devastation from fire which still burns, with fire engines from all over the North of England passing my front door throughout the day and night, nearly three weeks after the fire started.
    Hopefully the moors will be fully accessible again by the weekend of September 15th & 16th for the Red Rose 50.
    East Lancs LDWA already has a track record of making frequent donations to both Fire Service charities and Bolton Mountain Rescue. We are also looking at ways to contribute to the rebuilding of stiles, footbridges and fences and restoration of wildlife habitation across the damaged moorland. We are not a commercial organisation and endeavour to provide both maximum value and high quality to all our entrants. We are all volunteers.
    The more entries we have, the more we can do.
    Fifty miles is a physical and mental challenge but it is very rewarding both physically and with the wonderful scenery in which you are walking or running.

The event offers magnificent value for £33 (£28 for LDWA members) + SI booking fee.
    More info at https://www.ldwa.org.uk/challenge_ev...event_id=20123 (including gpx) or enter through SI Entries at https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=4374

Gordon

Will you be doing this Derby Tub? I will more than likely be entering. My brother is coming over from Ireland for it as well.

He is recovering from a bad dog bite to his calf muscle, so will be taking it easy.

EDIT!

Just seen above, you have entered.

Look out for me, I know we met at Daz's funeral, but I would not recognise you again.

I used to live in Radcliff, North Manchester, so I have done loads of walks and bike rides in that area. You will enjoy it.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 24-08-2018 at 11:01 AM.