Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last LAMM...

The Last LAMM...

A great way for Martin to sign off - the last LAMM ever was a cracker. The Isle of Harris turned it on and the courses long and complex. The overnight camp was just beautiful too.

Thanks Martin for all the fun over the years

B

Master
    Amen to that

Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    A great way for Martin to sign off - the last LAMM ever was a cracker. The Isle of Harris turned it on and the courses long and complex. The overnight camp was just beautiful too.

Thanks Martin for all the fun over the years

B
    That pretty much says it all, brilliant event and stunning location, thanks to all involved
    Do what you like, like what you do

As we crested the hill after CP 11 on Day 1 the view of the overnight camp by the the white Hebridean beach was amazing. I had to stop and get my camera out!

It was an amazing weekend and a fantastic way for Martin to sign off.

I really hope someone with Martin's imagination and organisational skills will start their own Scottish MM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post

I really hope someone with Martin's imagination and organisational skills will start their own Scottish MM.
    Shane O and Ourea events fit your criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Shane O and Ourea events fit your criteria?
    Er, no! Shane's events are really well organised but I was rather thinking of a non-commercial body.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Er, no! Shane's events are really well organised but I was rather thinking of a non-commercial body.
    Sorry, Shane's already stepped forward and is organising a Scottish MM next year. What's wrong with a commercial undertaking anyway? The Highlander was run by Hands On Events.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Sorry, Shane's already stepped forward and is organising a Scottish MM next year. What's wrong with a commercial undertaking anyway? The Highlander was run by Hands On Events.
    That's interesting Simon, I hadn't realised that.

Also I wasn't aware that the Highlander was run by a commercial outfit - that had finished before we started doing MMs.

Master
    and the RAB was run by Dark & White, another commercial company, before Ourea took it on.
    I think Shane's done a pretty good job of keeping the RAB close to its routes, the atmosphere of the event hasn't changed a lot since he took it on, and entry fees haven't risen significantly. I'm less sure about the GL3D, but I doubt that it could have been sustained as purely an elite event, there aren't enough potential competitors out there to cover costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    and the RAB was run by Dark & White, another commercial company, before Ourea took it on.
    I think Shane's done a pretty good job of keeping the RAB close to its routes, the atmosphere of the event hasn't changed a lot since he took it on, and entry fees haven't risen significantly. I'm less sure about the GL3D, but I doubt that it could have been sustained as purely an elite event, there aren't enough potential competitors out there to cover costs.
    I'd disagree with you Toreador. Shane has increased the entry fees significantly: £80-£100 this year compared to £60 last year is a significant increase. Especially when compared to £55 for the SLMM or £65-£75 for the OMM.
    Like it or not, Shane's aim is to have commercial events that make him a living, while the OMM and old RAB and Saunders can be allowed just to break even as marketing/advertising for their kit.
    Martin Stone ran the LAMM to break even, but an Ourea MM will have to make money, so the entry fees will unfortunately inevitably increase.

And I also think part of the ethos of the ROC/RAB has changed. They used to be really flexible and chilled about changes - if a pair had to change at the last moment through injury they would accommodate that. But not now.

On the good side though, all the controls were in the right places last year, which had not been 100% the case in older years!
    Last edited by BillJ; 11-06-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"