Thread: Riber Run

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Riber Run

Does anyone know anything about the Riber Run? I can't find much information about it the www. There's an old thread, "Riber Run 2009" on this forum, which describes it as being 5 miles; it is now advertised as 4.2 miles, so either the route has changed or the course has been re-measured. My only concern is whether there is much tarmac, which I don't like.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Watched this many moons ago when my brother was running it - looks like it has been shortened a bit but also looking at last year's winner's route on Strava and at the OS map it looks to be mostly grassy hills and green lane with small amounts of tarmac - https://www.strava.com/activities/1046324814/overview

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Watched this many moons ago when my brother was running it - looks like it has been shortened a bit but also looking at last year's winner's route on Strava and at the OS map it looks to be mostly grassy hills and green lane with small amounts of tarmac - https://www.strava.com/activities/1046324814/overview
    Thank you, that is useful. It appears that the route change means that the Riber Run no longer goes to Riber (castle).
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Does anyone know anything about the Riber Run? I can't find much information about it the www. There's an old thread, "Riber Run 2009" on this forum, which describes it as being 5 miles; it is now advertised as 4.2 miles, so either the route has changed or the course has been re-measured. My only concern is whether there is much tarmac, which I don't like.
    A fantastic race and one which punches above it's modest form. Those climbs (and descents) really are long! I love this race but sadly don't think I can get there now tomorrow.

Master
    Never having lived-in fell country, I have often thought that travelling to a race, by train and bicycle, is as much part of the fun as the race itself. However, journeys from Loughborough to the lower Derwent valley should be relatively straightforward; but . . .

As I got off my first train at Derby, I heard an announcement that the 16:09 to Sheffield would be making an extra stop at Belper. No reason was given. Then I looked at the screen, and saw that the next train to Matlock, which I was hoping to use, was cancelled. Then it dawned on me what was going on; and that the 16:09 to Sheffield was the train that I had just got off. So I quickly loaded my bike back onto the train.

The cycle ride from Belper to the race venue at Lea Green was longer than the intended ride from Whatstandwell, but I had plenty of time. I took the fairly direct but severely undulating route through Ridgeway and Crich at a very leisurely pace, and still arrived before registration had opened.

Anyway, onto the race itself. I had heard the organiser saying that he had not advertised the race much, as the course wouldn't cope with 200+ runners; there were actually about 130 on the day. I soon discovered what he meant: there are many stiles and other constrictions, and substantial sections of singletrack where overtaking isn't possible. Having taken the initial road section at a fairly gentle pace, I had to wait until we emerged from the woods in the Lea Brook valley before I could start passing other runners, including a bloke clutching a rather noisy phone , on the first climb. I even gained two places on the following descent. Then I got my biggest shock of the race: I had just overtaken a female runner when I heard a marshal telling her, "First lady, I think". Now, I used to finish ahead of the first woman in many fell races 30 years ago, but not these days! Anyway, another woman came flying past me on the final descent, so it wasn't to be; and I haven't seen the results yet so I don't know if that marshal was right.

I had to leave the venue all too soon: the 20:47 from Whatstandwell is the last train from which I can get a connection to Loughborough from Derby. I still had my Walshes on for the 4 miles of cycling on an idyllic evening, with views across the Derwent valley to Black Rocks, and a lovely stretch of road through sun-dappled woodland.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Glad you enjoyed it (mostly!) Ant.

I do hope that wasn't one of my Belper running buddies who was carrying the noisy "phone". I was out taking photo's of the race and I could hear him running towards me! It was actually his hearing aid which is quite noisy and seems to give off a buzzing type sound. Apologies if it was!

Master
    Yes, it was someone in a Belper vest. I wasn't particularly upset by the noise, I just thought it a bit strange and it gave me an added incentive to get past him.
    Jorge Luis Borges