Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever get the urge to.....

Master and MR

Re: Ever get the urge to.....

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Well allowing for fatigue, toilet & food breaks, wind changes (I would be riding round in circles) & climbing hills, I would have thought an average of 20 - 25MPH would be likely, so on that gestimate I would have thought about 480 miles??? You would never know until you've actually done it though.
    are you serious
    wots the farthest youve been

undercover moderator

Talk of 24 hr records etc reminded me of Beryl Burton.

When I went and looked her up on the wonderweb, I was shocked to find she died at only 59. I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    are you serious
    wots the farthest youve been

Furthest I have ridden to date was a loop of the Parish Course (which is 85 miles) & a bit extra (so it probably worked out a 90) in just over 5 hours. I rode it on my Time Trial bike, though TBH I'm not sure whether I might have been better on a road bike as maintaining the Aero for that long is nigh on impossible!!

That was one hot day in the summer & included a few substantial climbs I could have been faster, except for a few things at one point there was a village fayre in a village & I had to stop off & wait for the kiddies hill race to get in from that, riding along a cycle way some chavs walking spread totally across it coming towards me wouldn't move out of the way (so I crashed into them - couldn't get to my brakes quickly enough) - plus I had to avoid other pedestrians who insisted on walking on the cycle way, also one of the sections was along a potholed & dirt road so I had to slow down for that section, plus I bonked at one point.

Going to have to do it again I think!! Passed a few fit lasses along the way as well, should have asked if they'd ride with me?? (some of them were proper cyclists as well). Rerode a similar (though not exactly the same) route in September & we weren't much faster, though this was more of a relaxed thing rather than a race.

Ultra cyling is one thing I really want to do as I have always seemed to do well in endurance events. I quite like the idea of the RAMM.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Furthest I have ridden to date was a loop of the Parish Course (which is 85 miles) & a bit extra (so it probably worked out a 90) in just over 5 hours. I rode it on my Time Trial bike, though TBH I'm not sure whether I might have been better on a road bike as maintaining the Aero for that long is nigh on impossible!!

That was one hot day in the summer & included a few substantial climbs I could have been faster, except for a few things at one point there was a village fayre in a village & I had to stop off & wait for the kiddies hill race to get in from that, riding along a cycle way some chavs walking spread totally across it coming towards me wouldn't move out of the way (so I crashed into them - couldn't get to my brakes quickly enough) - plus I had to avoid other pedestrians who insisted on walking on the cycle way, also one of the sections was along a potholed & dirt road so I had to slow down for that section, plus I bonked at one point.

Going to have to do it again I think!! Passed a few fit lasses along the way as well, should have asked if they'd ride with me?? (some of them were proper cyclists as well). Rerode a similar (though not exactly the same) route in September & we weren't much faster, though this was more of a relaxed thing rather than a race.

Ultra cyling is one thing I really want to do as I have always seemed to do well in endurance events. I quite like the idea of the RAMM.
    90 miles is also my furthest
    in about the same time altough my route was the A6 to buxton which is very hilly and hard
    you need to carry loads of food etc and have a good route planned and a very comfy saddle as well( brooks )

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Talk of 24 hr records etc reminded me of Beryl Burton.

When I went and looked her up on the wonderweb, I was shocked to find she died at only 59. I missed that.
    she was found dead at the side of the road still strapped to her bike
    an amazin woman

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    90 miles is also my furthest
    in about the same time altough my route was the A6 to buxton which is very hilly and hard
    you need to carry loads of food etc and have a good route planned and a very comfy saddle as well( brooks )

I didn't carry loads of food as I couldn't, I had one bottle of Isotonic & one of watered down coke plus about 3 sachets of energy Gel (I only ate one of them after bonking though). Wonder what I could do with food???

Another ride I did was to head over the mountain early in the morning, riding through to Ramsey, then up to a place called Bride (at the top of the Island), dropped back down the coast to a place called Peel (Middle of the Island), headed across to Douglas to get some lunch, back into Peel, then up over a hilly climb up a place called Dalby. I then proceeded from there over the climb to the Sloc, down to Rushen church, & back into Douglas. Must have worked out at about 85 - 90 miles (basically I did a figure 8 of the IOM), though as I was stopping off to help with a race & for lunch ect, it wasn't a timed nonstop session.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Master and MR

im plannin on gettin AJ to drop me off somewere a long way away and ride back home
    we will see