Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New mudclaw

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    As much as a decent pair of shoes is important (I've spent enough time on the Irock thread below, and spent plenty of time trying to find the correct shoes for day-to-day training), i think the main reason people get so hyped up is they always want a shortcut to "success"...... whether that be a magic shoe, gps, food, etc... anything to avoid the hard fact that you need to get out and put the effort in.

I found the perfect shoes some years ago in the shape of the mizuno wave harrier. Grippy enough for most races, robust enough to do for training too, comfy on road and off-road, and cheap at circa £50 a pop. Shame they discontinued them really
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I found the perfect shoes some years ago in the shape of the mizuno wave harrier. Grippy enough for most races, robust enough to do for training too, comfy on road and off-road, and cheap at circa £50 a pop. Shame they discontinued them really
    My favourite shoe too. A great all-rounder. They are so good I gambled on a used pair off ebay which turned out to be almost new and then a few months ago I found a brand new pair of the Harrier 3. I am told that the newish Mizuno Wave Hayate 4 is a good trail shoe and the pictures I've seen of it look quite promising,especially the tread which appears quite rugged. May be one for the next birthday!

I'd forgotten all about the graphene hype and was happily enjoying the other thread on people cheaply breathing new life in to their shoes at LSR, then I saw the advert on the backpage of the Fellrunner and was reminded.

Has anyone actually got a pair of the mighty G-Series shoes yet? And if so, are they exactly 50% better in every way than everything else?

In the last few months I've actually heard good reviews of graphene impregnated MTB tyres.

I believe that the graphene Fell shoes had the date put back due to technological issues, and I think the release is supposed to be imminently in the new year.

I won an Inov8 voucher this year, and spent ages trying to find a pair from their huge range of shoes to spend it on. Settled on a pair of road shoes. But some of the stuff in their range is ridiculous.... Parkclaw... shoes for the gym... etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I believe that the graphene Fell shoes had the date put back due to technological issues, and I think the release is supposed to be imminently in the new year.

I won an Inov8 voucher this year, and spent ages trying to find a pair from their huge range of shoes to spend it on. Settled on a pair of road shoes. But some of the stuff in their range is ridiculous.... Parkclaw... shoes for the gym... etc...
    I like Inov8 shoes a lot, but, yes, their range is somewhat ridiculous. The names are of course silly and all these slightly different models are just confusing. Although that said, on the topic of park claws a friend of mine has a pair and I think he quite likes them.

I have to say I really don't understand why Inov8 have to have this huge range with loads of marginally different versions of the same shoe. X talon 210, X talon 212, X talon 225, X talon 230...etc

Quote Originally Posted by LongbeardRanger View Post

I have to say I really don't understand why Inov8 have to have this huge range with loads of marginally different versions of the same shoe. X talon 210, X talon 212, X talon 225, X talon 230...etc
    "Ridiculous"?

Well Wayne Edy told me, and he owned the company at the time, that it was to cater to the US market which liked lots of choice and was a lot more important in terms of potential sales than the UK fellrunning market.

Fifteen years ago I was given a pair of the first INOV-8 shoes to critique, when they only made one model, and it seems to me that "bells and whistles" have served INOV-8 rather well since then.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 29-12-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

My classic Mudclaws fell apart on me on the Kentmere fells today. 260 miles only yet a fair amount of grip left on the soles. Will be trying some different brands this year!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

ba-ba that is pretty much identical to what happened to me in the summer. Grip was fine but they fell apart, descending Green Gable at Ennerdale.

Moved onto VJ Irocks (similar to XTalon) and they were great, and currently just bought the new VJ Xtrm.

have tried Irocs in the past, found them a bit baggy at times but I reckon if used correctly will get some mileage out of them.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I've had issues with various Inov-8 uppers having premature ends, and the lighter the shoe, together with wetter terrain, the quicker they go. That said, I've had the same problem with most other lightweight trail and fell shoes, so its not just an Inov 8 thing!

Funnily enough, my long run today was in a pair of Mudclaw 300s - the red and black one with the flatter sole profied and 8mm lugs - and they are still going strong after close to 600 miles with the uppers still looking good. I've also had some of the old Roclite 295s last just as long, but also had some fall apart after a couple of hundred miles!!!

To pick up on GB's point though, my all time favourite Inov-8 shoes remains the original brown Mudroc 290, first bought in early 2004!