Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saunders

How dd it go then? What's your sunburn like? Have you been for a wee again yet?

I have to say, that was a lot harder than I was expecting! I'd reccied the Coniston one a few weeks back and this felt a lot tougher, though I guess part of that was the searing heat. The point where they sent us from Tarn Crag over to Wythburn Fells nearly made me cry - that leg took us 2 hours!! I'm taking comfort that the winners of the Harter Fell class came in about 2 and a half hours more than the course is usually won in so it clearly wasn't just us who found it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by climbingpixie View Post
    The point where they sent us from Tarn Crag over to Wythburn Fells nearly made me cry - that leg took us 2 hours!!
    Agreed, much swearing was done on that section! We did not have a good day (day, singular)and dropped at the end of Saturday. What a baptism of fire for my partner at her first MM.

First time I'd been up to Stickle Tarn - what an amazing spot.

I had a decent day on Day 1. Felt like I paced it pretty well and took on plenty of fluids and food. Big downside was blisters. Day 2 was grim. First hour or so was ok, but then I made a right nav cock up and my feet were giving me grief. Binned it and hobbled the couple of hours back to Grasmere. Would defo do the score again. Thought it was well planned and with plenty of route options. Hats off to everyone getting round in what were pretty tough conditions.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    I had a decent day on Day 1. Felt like I paced it pretty well and took on plenty of fluids and food. Big downside was blisters. Day 2 was grim. First hour or so was ok, but then I made a right nav cock up and my feet were giving me grief. Binned it and hobbled the couple of hours back to Grasmere. Would defo do the score again. Thought it was well planned and with plenty of route options. Hats off to everyone getting round in what were pretty tough conditions.
    Similarly to you Geoff - I had a good day 1, except for having to leg it in to the finish to try to get in close to time, which made my temperature skyrocket. I had been doing OK in the heat up to then with a Lawrence-of-Arabia style hat. But that overheating at the end caused me to flake out by the toilet block. Many thanks to the guy who came to help and fetch me water. Much appreciated, whoever it was.
    Submerged myself in the river for half an hour to try to bring my core temperature down, and promised myself not to risk a sprint for time on day2!

But like you, I was suffering badly with blisters on day 2. When we'd got the map at the start I'd roughly planned day 2 first, then worked day 1 around it, but I cut out a couple of controls on day 2 because my feet were painful - and to avoid a final sprint!
    Amazed to hold onto 3rd place despite that - and even close on Jonathan Davies in 2nd. I guess lots of people were suffering.

I like the '2 day score' format. It gave an interesting challenge.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Oh that's a shame. Has your partner been put off forever or do you think she'll recover? Agree that Stickle Tarn is lovely though I was distracted by worrying about the climb up to Harrison Stickle. Which way did you go on that long leg to Wythburn Fells? We did the direct route - that climb out of Far Easedale Gill was awful but I think probably faster than the circuitous route.

My feet are in a disgusting state and I was plagued with blisters from fairly early on Saturday. I've never really suffered from them before so I'm not sure why they've been so bad recently. Maybe the heat? Had to keep stopping on Sunday to re-mummify my feet with tape! We finished day 1 in 32nd and day 2 in 34th overall and I'm pretty happy with that for a first MM, especially given my feet.

We came in 17th FF pairs with an hour and three quarters left on the clock, my gf being a pale skinned Scot found the heat particularly tough so we eased off and cut back early both days when we had a decently respectable looking score in the bank. The midcamp site was perfect with the river right there for dunking and we caught up with some old friends as well I hadn't seen for ages.

Another thumbs up for the format - a strategic snap decision on Saturday morning then leisurely analysis overnight to optimise the second day. We took a wide loop on Saturday over Esk Pike and Glaramara keeping as much height as possible, back more directly on Sunday picking up the more fiddly controls through the Easedale valleys. We stopped for a few minutes at Easedale tarn so gf could have a quick swim and we weren't the only ones with that idea!

Similarly, we really enjoyed the new challenge of the score class where all controls are live on both days. Fortunately, my partner is a genius and she devised a route that allowed us to pretty much clear the east side of the map on Saturday leaving a fairly linear route back on Sunday, picking up the high scoring controls on the way. I think we moved up 13 places on day 2. And I didn't even have to run (well ok, just a couple of minutes jogging to make sure we weren't late back)!

Big thanks to the organisers and helpers for a very smoothly run event.

Master
    Anyone know how to upload two GPS tracks onto a single map in routegadget?!

well you should have gone to the same place as your partner so only need one per day?

Just pick a random pair an upload as theirs
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    There's only a single map for Fairfield course covering both days so need somehow to upload both tracks on the same map