Thread: Tri 60

Master

Tri 60

I'd hoped to do another long distance challenge to celebrate 60 but wear and tear in my left ankle and knee have limited my participation in the sport for several years now. Alas, no JNC or Frog Graham for me. To compensate and having taken up cycling and more recently swimming. In order to save my knees I am attempting a route around the Lakes this coming Saturday. Starting at Moothall at 3 am I climb Skiddaw and descend to Mirehouse before donning a wet suit and swimming to Beck Wythrop. At this point I collect my bike and cycle to Wythburn, put fell shoes back on and go up and down Helvellyn. Cycling over Wrynose and Hardnott to Wasdale, back into fell shoes for a trip aroung the Scafells, before the cycle back over Cold Fell, Winlatter, Newlands and Honister to arrive at hawes End. A final swim across Derwent water will lead to a jog back into Keswick with an aim of touching Moothall about 18 hours after leaving. Hope the knees survive, and to be honest its the fell that I am most worried about!!Got a great support team and just a few nerves to go with it. weather looks great though so hopefully get to Moothall for a pint by about 21:30 hours.Approx 100 miles bike and 11000 feet, 23 miles fell and 8000 feet and 2 miles of swimming and 0 feet!

Awesome Simon... good luck...

If you get round all that in 18 hours that is some good going!

Super Moderator
    Only just seen this. Hope you’re progressing well!

Master
    Finished in 19 hours and 15 mins. An epic day out. Started strongly but began to fade a bit going over Wrynose and Hardknott due to weather and a nausea feeling that I picked up during the climb of Helvellyn. The Scafells were really tough at 12 hours in and the stunning heat but kept on schedule throughout. I had decided that I needed to be in Derwent Water by 20:30 and only achieved that by going over Whinlatter and not doing Honister. Final swim went really well and the final jog back to Moothall was done at a crawl!!Brilliant greeting at the steps and made better by ken Taylor arriving 15 mins later on an all in all magic day.

Absolutely superb.

I just reeled off your itinerary to my mum and she was speechless...!

Congratulations.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Chapeau, sir. Most impressive - even more so given the weather.

Super Moderator
    Well done Simon

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Yes, a great achievement, Corniceman. How are your dodgy ankle and knee?

I left it to my wife to organise my 60 celebration. Needless to say, there wasn't any cycling or running involved (and she knows better than to try to get me swimming).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Great effort Simon and a worthy achievement to celebrate with this Tri 60.