Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ethnic minority runners?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Hank,
    You could say the same about any programme on BBC TV or Radio, that is geared towards a relative minority within the population. I am referring to arts programmes, etc.

They are still TV License payers.
    I think this was replying to me rather than Hank... But yes, i concede your point there...

Who knows how and why people decide to get out running (fell, road, trail, whatever)
    In my home town there are lots of people running at all times of day, every day. Almost to man they are women! It really is very noticeable and fantastic to see. Makes me wonder what all the blokes are doing? Maybe we should post 'come on in' notices in all the pubs??
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Who knows how and why people decide to get out running (fell, road, trail, whatever)
    In my home town there are lots of people running at all times of day, every day. Almost to man they are women! It really is very noticeable and fantastic to see. Makes me wonder what all the blokes are doing? Maybe we should post 'come on in' notices in all the pubs??
    Last year I came home from a Sunday morning run and remarked to my wife that of the other runners I had seen, a large majority were women. Her immediate reaction was that it was because women are more concerned about their health than men. If she is correct about their motivation for running, there's no contradiction between the large numbers of women out running and the small numbers at fell races.

That run was on one of my usual rural footpath routes, but there is also a problem with the large numbers of women out running on the streets. It's a problem (for me) because a lot of them are very attractive, and I'm supposed to be keeping my eyes on the road while cycling.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

It was interesting watching the European Championships, ethnic minorities seemed to dominate the track events (male and female), not so much the field events, and were somewhat under represented in the pool, not sure about gymnastics etc.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    All the men are out cycling, dreaming of being Geraint or Bradley. Have you noticed the increase in mamils( midle aged men in Lycra) ?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Just been on a tour of the highlands and islands of northern Scotland. I have seen loads of single bike tourers and almost all of them were women. Saw the occasional male, but have to admit I was surprised (and pleased) by the predominance of females as they are usually largely under represented in most cycling events.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    All the men are out cycling, dreaming of being Geraint or Bradley. Have you noticed the increase in mamils( midle aged men in Lycra) ?
    Good point sbrt! You are correct, we are plagued with swarms of them!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

This is all bye the bye for me; what brand of shoes will the average ethnic minority runner be seen in and will they take a buff as a hat?

These are the burning questions that need answers.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I think there's an important difference between under-representation due to prejudice and bias (ie, certain groups being excluded), and under-representation that is not (ie, certain groups choosing not to take part). I think fell running is pretty open to anyone.
    Agreed. there aren't many middle-aged men going to bingo (I'm told) but it doesn't seem to be an issue.
    Discussing this topic with some students from Pakistani families on a trip to the Lakes, one of them told me that compared to the hills in Pakistan, thses aren't that impressisve!
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc View Post
    Agreed. there aren't many middle-aged men going to bingo (I'm told) but it doesn't seem to be an issue.
    Discussing this topic with some students from Pakistani families on a trip to the Lakes, one of them told me that compared to the hills in Pakistan, thses aren't that impressisve!
    One of the most stupid things I ever heard. Wonder if kilian jornet, or all the great British mountaineers, who learnt their trade in the UK mountains agree? Absolute idiot from an Irishman.