Thread: First aid kit

First aid kit

I'm starting to do longer runs and more remote, need to more self sufficient. I tend to carry some microporus tape (for minor cuts) and ibuprofen (for old age) but wondered what people carried by way of a first aid kit and what you actually found most useful? Got chatting to a US walker in a hostel recently who carried 2 dissolveable aspirin in a readymade keyfob for heart attacks, said a lot of walkers carry these in the states, but I have never come across that in the UK before.
    Lots of very comprehensive kits on the market but what would you take on a long day out on the fells?

For a long day out, I carry a small first aid kit containing antiseptic wipes, micropore tape, small Swiss army knife and various dressings, small and large. Also take a thermal blanket, torch, a length of cord, phone and then the usual mandatory kit plus food, water etc.

Wow! You have been a newbie for a while.
    Crepe bandage with a safety pin, triangular bandage, a dressing, cpr shield, chino-graph pencil, ibuprophen, paracetamol, compede plasters, and a scalpel blade. in the same small resealable freezer bag, I have a cereal bar 10 and a debit card.
    The only thing I have used, is the compedes and the ibuprofen.
    For solo runs and most races, a survival bag is a no brainer.
    For comfort tissues and vasoline are good too.

Enjoy your long runs.
    Last edited by sbrt; 07-07-2018 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Wow! You have been a newbie for a while.
    Crepe bandage with a safety pin, triangular bandage, a dressing, cpr shield, chino-graph pencil, ibuprophen, paracetamol, compede plasters, and a scalpel blade. in the same small resealable freezer bag, I have a cereal bar 10 and a debit card.
    The only thing I have used, is the compedes and the ibuprofen.
    For solo runs and most races, a survival bag is a no brainer.
    For comfort tissues and vasoline are good too.

Enjoy you long runs.
    I hope the 10 is one of the new plastic ones. I came unstuck on a bike ride when I had to use my emergency 10 from my saddlebag and the shop would not accept it as it was an old one!

Tick removal tool?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks SBRT - I'm more of a reader than a poster so never got round to changing my username. What is the scalpel blade for?
    Don't carry a tick remover but tend not to be prone to them. Sometimes run with a friend and they seem to latch on to her in preference!
    Anyone medical on here know about the aspirin thing? These were the 'pod' keyrings. 'Makes a perfect gift' according to the website!! www.aspod.co.uk/

Splinters or just to cut anything that needs cutting.