Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Attempt on 21st July...

Nope he and his brother are real people. I have been chatting to him via email. They are seeing this ad a reccie rather than a serious attempt to get around. If the get to dunmail before dark they will have had a good day out.

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Using a GPX on the BG is not in keeping at all and there have been some digs at recent “interesting” debates on here
    Would you say the same about the record? I would not have thought he done much navigation that day. They are two London lads without much lakes experience. I had great days out in the hills following s gpx trace around the kinder dozen and high peak marathon routes. Pity some people disapprove.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    Would you say the same about the record? I would not have thought he done much navigation that day. They are two London lads without much lakes experience. I had great days out in the hills following s gpx trace around the kinder dozen and high peak marathon routes. Pity some people disapprove.
    I don't disapprove Pat. I've also had some great days out using GPS, but I am aware of its limitations and I think Bob touched on some of those in his earlier post. Each to his own of course, but I do think you have to be realistic - unless explicitly told otherwise (cf. the recent debate on the use of GPS in fell races) people are going to use it and the Bob Graham Round is no exception. The club has not sought to mandate against its use as far as I'm aware and think that's the right approach. Is it an advantage? Quite possibly, especially in poor weather. There are loads of things that can give you an advantage nowadays: poles, better kit, better nutrition, better weather forecasting .... I could go on

Anyhow, any updates? How have these London lads fared?
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Hi Pat

I don’t disapprove of GPS per se to help when somewhere is unfamiliar or as a back up. My point (which was not well articulated) is that the BG should be more holistic than just turning up and following a GPS. If Lucian is treating it as a recce that’s a different spin on it - the key point is that they have had a good day out and heeded the sound advice to make it a safer experience

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Hi Pat

I don’t disapprove of GPS per se to help when somewhere is unfamiliar or as a back up. My point (which was not well articulated) is that the BG should be more holistic than just turning up and following a GPS. If Lucian is treating it as a recce that’s a different spin on it - the key point is that they have had a good day out and heeded the sound advice to make it a safer experience

Rich
    That's fair. Well put.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Super Moderator
    Anyone heard anything? Dr Pat?

I think I saw these two on Steeple yesterday. I bagged Steeple at 15:06 and that ties in with there anti clockwise schedule.
    They wished me luck and said they were on a recce.
    They looked comfortable and spoke with southern accents....good luck to em.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Anyone heard anything? Dr Pat?
    No nothing, been looking at Lucian's efforts on strava, he is in a completely different league to me. Raw speed could overcome a lot of their navigation inexperience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    I think I saw these two on Steeple yesterday. I bagged Steeple at 15:06 and that ties in with there anti clockwise schedule.
    They wished me luck and said they were on a recce.
    They looked comfortable and spoke with southern accents....good luck to em.
    And well done to you Darren I hear?!

Master
    Just seen the dedicated Tinder thread, so its all true!!Great run.