Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your first mountain?

Clougha Pike with the 23rd Lancaster (Christ Church) Wolf Cubs, at the age of 8 - we walked out from Lancaster, through Quernmore - early summer 1959.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

My first mountain experience that I recall was to Cadair Idris on a school geography trip aged around 13/14. We did not go to the summit but I vividly remember the amphitheatre of Llyn Cau with the cliffs above. I also remember Elaine Crisp's tits.
    Thanks AnthonyKay for this memory lane thread, and as I was visiting my mum in Mid-Wales, yesterday I had to go for a walk up "Cader" and remind myself what a beautiful mountain she is. I was not disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    My first mountain experience that I recall was to Cadair Idris on a school geography trip aged around 13/14. We did not go to the summit but I vividly remember the amphitheatre of Llyn Cau with the cliffs above. I also remember Elaine Crisp's tits.
    Thanks AnthonyKay for this memory lane thread, and as I was visiting my mum in Mid-Wales, yesterday I had to go for a walk up "Cader" and remind myself what a beautiful mountain she is. I was not disappointed.
    My first UK mountain, too. Same memory of Llyn Cau. Did go all the way, but, sadly, not with Elaine Crisp.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

In the spirit of 'passing on' great time, I walked my 6 and 3 year old grandchildren up their first mountain, the Sugarloaf , today. Epic and they loved it!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Great Shunner Fell on a Venture Scout trip - April 18 1987 aged 14. I was totally enthralled and it was genuinely a life changing day, hence remembering the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    In the spirit of 'passing on' great time, I walked my 6 and 3 year old grandchildren up their first mountain, the Sugarloaf , today. Epic and they loved it!
    Nice one Simon. In a similar vein, I've walked each of my three grandsons, at their request, to the summit of Clougha Pike in the summer prior to each one enrolling at Quernmore primary school, which nestles at the foot of Clougha; just so that they can say to their new found chums, "I've been up there."
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    Probably Mam Tor or maybe Kinder. No idea when. First Lakes mountain - Gable

Beamsley Beacon as an under 10

Scout camp at it's base. A midnight exercise entailed 6 small scouts carrying a truncated telegraph pole to the summit.

Flip, those were the days...

Seemed a real mountain to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Cadair Idris was my first one too! We lived in Chester at the time and had a cottage near Machynlleth that we went to most weekends. Lots of good memories!

Crib Goch on my 46th Birthday. Awful weather, lost 3 hair extensions and my earmuffs that day. I'd done lots of scrambling and climbing before this but this was my 1st mountain. Left me with a love of mountains ever since. Many, many mountains but it took me 6 years before I ventured onto Crib Goch again. Lost count of mountains I have climbed since. I have passed on my love to the grandkids though. Kaci aged 9 to Bessie Boots. She is now 17 and 3 weeks ago she climbed Mount Kenya while in Kenya for a month helping to build a school. We are all so lucky to love the hills, fells, and mountains :-)