Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your first mountain?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Your first mountain?

What was the first mountain you climbed, and how old were you?

For me it was Blencathra, at the age of 10: that was 50 years ago today, to within a week or so. I was one of about 20 boys from Aspley Heath County Primary School in Bedfordshire, taken up to the Lake District for 8 nights Youth Hostelling, with just 3 adults looking after us! [The following year they allowed girls to come. Whatever next? Women running fell races? ]

I am not sure which way we went up, but I remember a rounded grassy ridge, so not Halls Fell; probably Blease Fell. I couldn't believe how long the uphill continued; we had done some training walks in the Bedfordshire Greensand Ridge behind the school (highest point 171 metres), but nothing like this. It was tiring, but exhilarating. It was also my first experience of going up into clag, which seemed very strange. And I remember us paddling naked in Scales Tarn on the way down (remember: there were no girls that year).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Coniston Old Man with my Dad, in 1971. Walked up Walna Scar and along to the top. Amazed by the view. Crib Goch ridge in snow was memorable at 17. Badly equiped, but survived. Think I crawled along most of it.
    Lead to a lifetime in the hills, Liathach last week - very impressive.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Not really a mountain but the first walk in the hills I can remember was up to Stickle Tarn when I was about 5. It is one of the only things I can remember from that long ago.
    Then fast forward about 3 or 4 years to 2 primary school trips and a couple of family walking holidays in Snowdonia. Various mountains, most of which I don't remember but moel siabod made a lasting impression on me as did Tryfan and the glyders (mainly as I got blown off my feet on the way down. )
    The love of the Lakes kicked in in my early teens and I was well through most of the wainwrights by the time I left school.

Pike O' Blisco aged 16. Guess we reversed the Langdale race descent, as I remember trekking up the road to a cattle grid, then a stiff climb up. Back down via Oxendale.

That week I also went up Catbells, Maiden Moor, High Spy. I remember it being a gorgeous clear day, and throwing a proper teenagers fit when my parents wouldn't let me carry on the Horseshoe round Dale Head and Hindscarth while they turned back. I guess I knew then I wanted to move fast in the mountains. Though it took me a while to get around to it!

Not a real mountain, but Box Hill was well big to a 5 year old!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I did the Box hill fell race several years and even won a bar of soap once - seemed big enough to me when running round it and I was a grown up!

I first visited Wales on holiday (fishing) about 1960, we drove from Sussex into Wales via Gloucester (long before the Severn bridge), it was a mammoth journey by car in those days.

I was fascinated by mountains and really excited to see some, my only knowledge of them gleaned from school geography books and pictures of the Himalayas or similar.

We must have seen the black mountains and beacons on our way, I recall the disappointment at no vast craggy peaks in the clouds nor snow on the tops, which I expected.

But that is when my love of mountains and hills began, no idea when I eventually walked up one, probably much later.

Monte Altissimo, just over Riva del Garda, aged 5 in 1978, with my Dad.
    I was extremely tired and it was a hot sunny day. I loved everything of it. It was the day I got in love wiht mountains. Still love them.

Banned
    Bucken Pike.
    School visit to hostel.
    A steady walk up a big hill we were told.
    Ha ha ha

Catbells 1976, age 6.
    My first foray into mountains was a camping trip to the Lakes in September 1971, and ascended the hills on my dad's back so can't claim to have climbed anything.
    Do what you like, like what you do