Thread: Nine Edges

Nine Edges

Morning all. Forgive the silly question...

Nine Edges next Saturday; a few years ago I walked it and did the initial ascent by going up Walkers' Clough. A few months ago, having foolishly entered as a runner this year, I went for a recce to remind myself of the route and went the same way, obvious route, all good. But a few days ago I read that the way to take is the path up Hollin Clough. It's too late for me to go and look now (I live in Reading) and there is no path up Hollin Clough on the map.

Is that the way, and will it be obvious? If in doubt I shall go the way I went before.

I should add that I am in no sense a fell runner (although I enjoy these forums and learn a lot from them) and will be hoping only to finish before the slowest walker. So following the pack, even at that early stage in the race, may not work as everyone else will have vanished into the distance by the time I get to the top of the hill.

Thank you!
    Lizzie

Quote Originally Posted by BusyLizzie View Post
    Morning all. Forgive the silly question...

Nine Edges next Saturday; a few years ago I walked it and did the initial ascent by going up Walkers' Clough. A few months ago, having foolishly entered as a runner this year, I went for a recce to remind myself of the route and went the same way, obvious route, all good. But a few days ago I read that the way to take is the path up Hollin Clough. It's too late for me to go and look now (I live in Reading) and there is no path up Hollin Clough on the map.

Is that the way, and will it be obvious? If in doubt I shall go the way I went before.

I should add that I am in no sense a fell runner (although I enjoy these forums and learn a lot from them) and will be hoping only to finish before the slowest walker. So following the pack, even at that early stage in the race, may not work as everyone else will have vanished into the distance by the time I get to the top of the hill.

Thank you!
    Lizzie
    I did it two years ago and I vaguely remember thinking the same thing before the day. My reccy had taken me somewhere different on the day but I just followed everyone else - and I was nearly at the back.

Edit to add - you can go anyway you want to the first checkpoint so you won't get in trouble for using your obvious route, but I guess you want to be as efficient as possible.

I doubt everyone will have vanished by the time you get there, but yes it [the shortest route] does go up Hollin Clough. It's annoying that the OS map doesn't show the path clearly, but its the path that follows the clough on the map as far as just under the "O". For some reason it peters out on the map, but I don't remember any difficulty here - just keep going up until you reach the main edge path.

If you're able to find the Clough you're laughing, just go up the right hand side of it. It's only a quarter of a mile from the start and that stone staircase up the dam wall will slow everybody down, so I'm sure you should be able to see where everyone branches off. It'll be about 200m from the top of the dam wall, turn right up a muddy path.

If you get there early and you've enough energy in your legs you could nip up the steps and eyeball it before the start!

Good luck, I remember it was a great run!

You might be able to see my Strava route here: https://www.strava.com/activities/940742343
    Last edited by RichK; 02-09-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Thank you so much, that is wonderfully helpful. Yes, I see what you mean about the stairs beside the dam, that is handy.
    Lizzie

Enjoy it! (sorry my post should have said "my reccy went somewhere different but *on the day* I followed everyone else at the start". I mustn't post when merry...

No worries. Merriment is always good. Thank you again.

Well they have now changed the route! The lovely remote stuff on the moors above Derwent Edge has gone and a lower path is indicated - starting I think up Walkers' Clough after all. No more Cakes of Bread. There are good environmental reasons for the change but I am so confused...

Sorry to hear that. Sadly exactly this is happening to more and more races in that area. Yes, we're told there are good reasons for this. :-(

And what a lovely day that was. Funnily enough I was not left behind on the first hill and route-finding was not a problem.