Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Meal of the Year

Best Meal of the Year

For the first time in a few years I came across some field mushrooms and gathered them. Cooked some bacon, then the mushrooms in the same pan and served them with boiled Maris Pipers and Runner Beans, from my allotment, a knob of butter and HP Sauce. Heavenly. Reminded me of my childhood when field mushrooms were plentiful at this time of year.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I’ve noticed in my garden and then last night at Ilam race more mushrooms than usual. Need to get identification of a few before I experience the delights of your meal.

A few contenders for meal of the year for me...

Cumberland Sausage from the pub on the bend in Eskdale (King George?)….. huge, and tasted great.
    'Mam Tor Meat Feast Pizza' from a pub in Castleton (Nag's Head?) the day before the Edale Skyline.
    a late entrant... the Fish & Chips from the Haddock Paddock chippy in Sedbergh a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    A few contenders for meal of the year for me...

Cumberland Sausage from the pub on the bend in Eskdale (King George?)….. huge, and tasted great.
    'Mam Tor Meat Feast Pizza' from a pub in Castleton (Nag's Head?) the day before the Edale Skyline.
    a late entrant... the Fish & Chips from the Haddock Paddock chippy in Sedbergh a couple of weeks ago.
    For me, it's got to be 10 days ago at the Blue Haven Restaurant in Kinsale, Co Cork; a beautifully cooked, crispy West Cork Pig Pizza. Everything from a pig:- pulled pork, ham, bacon, black pudding etc.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    For me, it's got to be 10 days ago at the Blue Haven Restaurant in Kinsale, Co Cork; a beautifully cooked, crispy West Cork Pig Pizza. Everything from a pig:- pulled pork, ham, bacon, black pudding etc.
    Was in Cork myself several weeks ago... went to a Japanese restaurant, had Beef Teryaki... was very good, although I did struggle with the chopsticks (I am not a sophisticated guy by any means).

Didn't go to Kinsale, but did go to Cobh (formerly Queenstown) which was the final stop off for the titanic on land. A nice part of the world.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    At the other end of Ireland, we had a big bowl of mussels at the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy, which were so good that we come back two days later for another bowl, cooked to a different one of their six mussel recipes. Granny Annies in [London]Derry also do excellent food to go with their bonkers decor.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Was in Cork myself several weeks ago... went to a Japanese restaurant, had Beef Teryaki... was very good, although I did struggle with the chopsticks (I am not a sophisticated guy by any means).

Didn't go to Kinsale, but did go to Cobh (formerly Queenstown) which was the final stop off for the titanic on land. A nice part of the world.
    We past Cobh, looking across from the S bank of the estuary as we headed E for Cork City to pick up the M8 for Dublin and the ferry home. At the time, I mentioned to my wife that Cobh was the last port of call of the Titanic before she headed out into the Atlantic.
    I do need to correct you; her final stop on land was surely the bed of the Atlantic Ocean?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    At the other end of Ireland, we had a big bowl of mussels at the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy, which were so good that we come back two days later for another bowl, cooked to a different one of their six mussel recipes. Granny Annies in [London]Derry also do excellent food to go with their bonkers decor.
    Yes Anthony, the coastal towns and villages of Ireland are excellent if you enjoy seafood. I have enquired about lobster at several establishments over the past five summers but seemingly they are in short supply. On the day that we patronised the Blue Haven they were out of oysters. I saw plenty of crates of freshly caught large crabs on several of the fishing piers. During the 18 days that we were there this year, I partook of excellent mussels on two occasions.

Two years ago, in Bangor, W. Mayo, a young girl, recently graduated from catering college, had opened a small cafe and was offering a breakfast pizza; basically a full Irish fry-up, chopped up and on a pizza.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 05-09-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Hake and chips at the Shed in Porthgain in Pembrokeshire. Nailed on for me!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    We past Cobh, looking across from the S bank of the estuary as we headed E for Cork City to pick up the M8 for Dublin and the ferry home. At the time, I mentioned to my wife that Cobh was the last port of call of the Titanic before she headed out into the Atlantic.
    I do need to correct you; her final stop on land was surely the bed of the Atlantic Ocean?

Nice little town, lovely sea-front, and the estuaries around there are huge.

Went in the Titanic Museum there which was very good for an hour. I thought even better than the one in Liverpool, and it contained some bits of furniture/etc from other ships from the White Star line which sailed at the same time.

Cork itself was nice... lots of bars.... a funny kind of place, old typical irish terraced colourful houses, right next door to modern buildings. Although was the first time I've ever been to Ireland at all so it was all new to me (admittedly i was supposed to be out there working for two days but we wrapped it all up in an afternoon so had a bit of free time!)