Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running MPs

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Running MPs

Tim Farron, MP for Fellrunning Central (aka Westmorland & Lonsdale) is well known for his regular participation in the Grasmere Guides Race. But I was a bit surprised earlier today to find out that on Saturday I had been parkrunning in the company of my local MP: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/dishleyloughborough/news/ . Obviously I was sufficiently far ahead of her that I wasn't aware of her presence.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Barnsley MP Dan Jarvis has been spotted at the Trunce and other Penistone-way races a few times.

Former sport secretary Richard Caborn can often be found at Graves Parkrun in Sheffield.

The sitting MP record for the London Marathon is 2:32:57, set by Matthew Parris in 1985 (this year's best was 3:38)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Can't just think of the guys name but wasn't there an MEP for one of the S Pennine constituencies (maybe Saddleworth or Calder Valley way) a regular, veteran competitor in fell races ..... Chris ????
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 05-09-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Can't just think of the guys name but wasn't there an MEP for one of the S Pennine constituencies (maybe Saddleworth or Calder Valley way) a regular, veteran competitor in fell races ..... Chris ????
    Yes Chris Davies Saddleworth Runners MV60. Still very active competitor.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

I seem to remember the former Member for Tatton & current 'editor' of the Evening Standard struggling for breath as he took on Simon Bailey in an attempt to reach the top of Shutlingsloe one year! Mates with the Earl Of Derby I believe?!
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbsy View Post
    I seem to remember the former Member for Tatton & current 'editor' of the Evening Standard struggling for breath as he took on Simon Bailey in an attempt to reach the top of Shutlingsloe one year! Mates with the Earl Of Derby I believe?!
    His son ran it, but he didn't. I asked if he fancied it and he said "next year" - this was a few years ago now. Politician's promises...

David Rutley (Macclesfield, Con) has run most of my local races. One year I had a friend visiting and he ran Bosley fell race (I think). He finished just ahead of David and I said "well done, you've beaten the local MP." This was countered by a bystander who responded "yeah, but he's a tory". I was amused by this - whatever your political persuasion, I don't think tory-ness affects someone's ability to run quickly. Indeed, as Nic pointed out, Matthew Parris (Con) was pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    His son ran it, but he didn't. I asked if he fancied it and he said "next year" - this was a few years ago now. Politician's promises...

David Rutley (Macclesfield, Con) has run most of my local races. One year I had a friend visiting and he ran Bosley fell race (I think). He finished just ahead of David and I said "well done, you've beaten the local MP." This was countered by a bystander who responded "yeah, but he's a tory". I was amused by this - whatever your political persuasion, I don't think tory-ness affects someone's ability to run quickly. Indeed, as Nic pointed out, Matthew Parris (Con) was pretty fast.
    Indeed - must have just been a warm day in the bluebells! He looked as if he'd run...!

Perhaps one's politics doesn't determine speed, more the reasons for running in the first place? Away from angry mobs or door-stepping journalists perhaps?
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have heard Matthew Parris a lot on the radio in recent years, and it had never previously occurred to me that he might have been a top-class marathon runner.

Although the focus of my post was sitting MPs, I can think of three Olympic athletes who have become MPs after retiring from athletics: Chris Chataway, Menzies Campbell, Sebastian Coe. That's two Tories, one Lib-Dem; which I don't think has any significance whatsoever.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

What about little Colin Moynihan who became an MP after coxing a boat to an Olympic silver medal. That's if a cox can be classed as an Olympic athlete. Don't know whether he could run though!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

wow - Ming Campbell raced OJ Simpson over 100m!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy