Thread: Waterproof Repair

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Waterproof Repair

Did the LDMT on yesterday, cleaned my waterproof today and noticed 3 small (<1cm) tears in the arm. Not sure how I managed that - could have been there a while or maybe got caught in the zip of my bum bag yesterday. Anyway, I'd like to repair this if possible as its relatively minor damage and obviously a new one would be rather expensive. Its am OMM Kamleika smock if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pete
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Hi Pete, I've never repaired Kamleika but I do have a 16 years-old M.E. jacket in single skin Gore-Tex Paclite that has suffered many such tears (I suspect barb wire and thorns when on headtorch runs). Over the years I've used gaffer tape patches, externally to shed water - the multitude now look quite unsightly - I refer to it as my gaffer take jacket that I've had to repair with a piece of Gore-Tex. If I were starting repairs over again, I would use smaller patches of gaffer tape internally to hold the edges of the tears together then use something such as a dab of Shoe-Goo to gain an external seal - Shoe Goo is flexible once it has 'set'.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Cheers for the advice. I've found a tube of seam sealant primarily for use on tents which may do the job. I'm thinking a small patch on the inside as you suggested is then the best way to go. I've got an old waterproof I can probably canabalise for the patches

Feel for you. I did the same wearing the same jacket. Doing the Haworth Hobble and squeezing between two Stone posts at the top of Hardcastle Crags rubbed a hole in the left pocket with the edge of my phone inside. I found this on Amazon and did a great job. Just avoid sharp edges when cutting the right shape. Keep it round. I’ve had this patch on now for a few years and washed the jacket a few times and it’s still stuck on. Very sticky!
    Kleiber 5-Piece Self Adhesive Nylon Clothing Repair Patch Set, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008OEN9..._hd0WBb549N4CG
    Last edited by Comfortably_Numb; 14-10-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: More indormation

Thanks. I'll bare it in mind for next time.
    I used the aforementioned tent seam sealant and then cannibalised part of the loop that holds the hood down. The kamleika material does strange things in contact with the glue but it is stuck well now and shows no signs of coming loose. Will see how it goes but hopefully saved me a few quid on a new jacket.