Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BGR 14th sept

BGR 14th sept

Hi, I'm planning an attempt for friday 14th september, setting off at 10pm on a clockwise circuit. Would anyone be interested in navigating any of the legs, particularly legs 1, 2 or 3. Any other support would also be appreciated. I'll set out on a standard 24hr schedule.

This is my second attempt. I had an attempt as earlier this summer in june, but unfortunately my leg 2 support knackered his knee quite badly and with the horrible state of the weather i decided not to ditch him. I'm aware this isn't the ideal time of year for an attempt but i'm keen to give it a proper shot while i'm still fit and able to.

Cheers, Will

Re: BGR 14th sept

Good luck Will, sorry i can;t help out.

Jamie will see you right on leg one i'm sure - just get him started on playing 'who am i' and witness his talents.

Fingers crossed for the weather

ST

Hi Will - Good effort for pursuing it again - half way to a winter round this you know - so extra recognition deserved here! I know how hard it is getting support, it has been a problem dogging all my 'planned' attempts this year - along with the weather of course. The route is very firmly imprinted in my head, as my round was completed a fortnight ago.
    I should be able to offer you assistance, leg 1 is my preference but could do leg 2 if required. I had it in mind to do the Three Shires race on the Saturday, but will also be happy to just support that (or fall asleep somewhere...).
    With the nights being quite long now, the weather will be a key issue in determining how difficult it will be, it is a lot harder to run in the dark, even with a good head torch. In dark mist leg 1 (back 'o' skidaw) especially, offers little clues to the navigator, but I know it well. Also Halls Fell descent could be fun too...!
    One tip is don't always believe the long range forecasts either - they have been very random this year, with the un-predictable weather. Send me an email when you have more details and we can fine tune the details.

Cheers

RAM

Quote Originally Posted by will turner View Post
    Hi, I'm planning an attempt for friday 14th september, setting off at 10pm on a clockwise circuit. Would anyone be interested in navigating any of the legs, particularly legs 1, 2 or 3. Any other support would also be appreciated. I'll set out on a standard 24hr schedule.

This is my second attempt. I had an attempt as earlier this summer in june, but unfortunately my leg 2 support knackered his knee quite badly and with the horrible state of the weather i decided not to ditch him. I'm aware this isn't the ideal time of year for an attempt but i'm keen to give it a proper shot while i'm still fit and able to.

Cheers, Will
    Good luck Will

I remember that night well unfortuanatly, sorry I can't help, I've put off my attempt till next year.

I'm afraid I can't help that weekend, Will, but I'll certainly send you my best wishes.

I know it's a bit late to be giving route advice, but have you considered Doddick Fell as an alternative to Hall's Fell (especially if the rock is wet)? I used Doddick on my round this year and got to Threlkeld a few minutes before Yiannis & his team who set off down Hall's Fell a couple of minutes before me. Definitely worth considering if you've a chance to recce it, as finding the top of the ridge is not completely obvious in the dark/mist.

Good luck,

Geoff

Thanks guys. I'm all set for it now with enough support, and the weather is looking good!

Good luck, Sky looks amazing tonight. Enjoy it and take your time early on. Main thing I reckon is get 8 - 10 hrs in feeling OK.

Good luck Will for tonight and tomorrow.

Anyone know how he's going on? Apparently he was looking strong and fast on Leg 1.

Hi Got a text last night from Will's Dad,

He completed the round in spot on 21hrs. Absolutely Fantastic effort Will, thats an amazing time for so late in the year.

Cheers
    Jamie