Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Lantern Pike Fell Race

Another great day out thanks to Jim and the huge army of helpers. A very moving minutes silence for Pennine's Alan Kirk who sadly passed away this week. Apart from a minor squall the weather was great, clear blue skies at closing time, thanks Andy! Highlight of the day was seeing Ricky Wilde below Lantern Pike, I finished exactly 20 minutes later than his record breaking run.Just enjoying a nice bottle of Old Oak dark bitter.

Very Very Well Done Sir William Clough!!!!!
    Great turn out again today and many thanks for those that took part in the L'Pike Races!! Juniors & Seniors looked to be having a really good time; as Sir WC has said a Very Big Thanks to JimT & Family & Pals & KFR for making it all happen, plus you super folks that assisted in Marshalling the event and especially the Main Road Crossing, a reet tough job that one (+ they had to put up with me)!!!! We were more than blessed to have Ricky Wilde & Wade Cooper along too at the Prize Giving more than special, both real Superstars on the Fells !!!!! More here on them and 1977 www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/archive/2004/lantern-pike-1977.pdf

Hayfield Champs' - very well done to the Winners Bryan McKenna (1st Lad) & Ali Keates (1st Lass & 5th overall!), hope the Cakes were good & the T'shirts fit & the colours suit :-) ......speaking of Champs T'shirts, I've got quite a few unclaimed, I'll be about at other races etc., so let me know how to get them to you or knock on at The Shack if you are passing and I might be in and we can get it sorted....plus also at Hayfield Show & Sheepdog Trials tomorrow, so why not come along and pick up your T' and much more too http://www.hayfieldshow.co.uk/ do come along, weather looking pretty good again tomorrow
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Having seen that Grindsbrook Circle is cancelled, and feeling in need of a race, I was wondering about Lantern Pike. But earlier posts on this thread make references to much tarmac. How bad is this race for tarmac-haters like me? Is there a map of the course anywhere?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Why not the Fat Boys Stanage Struggle on Sun 16th? Only 100yds tarmac prior to the finish field.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Its a good race but does have plenty of road in it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Looks like the RMT union have made my decision about Lantern Pike: no stopping trains on the Hope Valley line on that day due to their strike. And relying on the train/bicycle combination to get to races means that Sunday morning races are usually not possible, so no Stanage Struggle. Anyway, I am usually in church on a Sunday morning; but I may make an exception this Sunday (16th), as I have now found out that a local scout troop is organising a 10-mile trail race. The route is mostly the reverse of the training run I did last Sunday; in fact it passes within about 200 metres of my home, although fortunately that is after less than two miles, so the temptation to nip in for a mug of tea and a few biscuits shouldn't be too strong. They aren't doing a very good job of publicising the race: they have put a limit of 250 entrants, and they had 28 yesterday, with entries closing on Friday. Anyway, I am hoping for plenty more rain before Sunday to make the course greasy and slow down the fast lads, especially on the descents from Beacon Hill and Buck Hill.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Photos from Lantern Pike fell race, prize presentation and Hayfield show last Saturday. That new uphill finish was a bit brutal wasn't it? https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickha...57699803296741

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    Photos from Lantern Pike fell race, prize presentation and Hayfield show last Saturday. That new uphill finish was a bit brutal wasn't it? https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickha...57699803296741
    Great photos as always Nick. I quite liked the new finish, perhaps I wasn't trying hard enough!

I thought I'd like it more than I did but I was blowing out the proverbial 'a**e' by that point and had to adopt the death march. It was just too steep and I'd already left it all out there on the big hill.

Really Ace Photos Nic, many thanks for sharing them via the Forum, pleased to see you enjoyed this years new Finish :-) will probably be back to the normal finish again next year.

Plus many many thanks for all of those that made it happen again and a more than special thanks for the folks that assisted me with the Road Crossing, a more than tough job!!!

Groovy Kinder Love next.....more on this in the normal place www.t42.org.uk/hayfield/ it's a cracking course, well done Noel in making it happen. I'll be there assisting and also with the Box of Champs T'Shirts for those who have entered this year Champs but weren't able to collect them at Lantern Pike FR.....
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..