Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Isle of Wight Fell Series

Re: Isle of Wight Fell Series

Quote Originally Posted by Werdna Swilnik View Post
    Here's a local newspaper report on the IoW series:

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/Sport/CHALLENG...LL_RACERS.aspx
    Thanks Werdna. So was the Wroxall rounf 1500ft or 2000ft? I've jusst checked my Suunto and it measured a 594m ascent which is 1948 feet. No GPS on the watch but I re-set it at sea level and the air pressure didn't change that much. I feel even better now! First run today since the race actually; was feeling shattered after it so gave my body a chance to recover with tons of grub, walking and stretching. Were you wearing Running Bear socks Werdna?

Hi all

I've measured the routes on Anquet map software at 1:50,000 and they diverge a bit from the official distances and ascent. The Ventnor Horseshoe comes out as 7.82/1821ft which makes it still a BM, but at 234ft/mile it is getting close to an AM. The Wroxall comes out a bit shorter at 12.16 but has 2287ft of ascent which makes it a BL. In practice I found the Ventnor Horseshoe the hardest

It is hard coming down from a weekend like the IOW. It is an intense running experience. For those two days it is only running that seems to matter, then it's gone and you miss it. I look forward to 2008, but there is also much to do before then.
    I rely upon my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by downsman View Post
    Thanks Werdna. First run today since the race actually; was feeling shattered after it so gave my body a chance to recover with tons of grub, walking and stretching. Were you wearing Running Bear socks Werdna?
    I think it's taken me about 10 days as well to fully recover from the IoW race weekend. I'm full of respect for people who used to do intensive multi-day events like the old 'Tour of Thameside'.

I always wear Running Bear socks, they're easily the most comfortable running socks I've found, are hard wearing and keep your feet warm in winter as well.

http://www.runningbear.co.uk/product...roducts_id=156

Werdna

Awesome weekend at these races. My hearty thanks to the Race Organisers and the 100s of Marshalls. My first experience of the these 'soft southern' races and one I won't forget ! I'll be back.

I had to chase off a herd of cows blocking my path on the Ventnor Horseshoe route, and that was my only complaint. Otherwise, all 3 routes were brilliant, with some tough climbs and I especially liked the steep and fast descent off St Boniface fell which is common to all 3 routes. Nothing 'soft' about these races even if they do lack that mountain feel.

And you have to spend some time in the Volunteer pub, you get to meet some truly interesting characters there

Looking forward to the results (runner 76).
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Always a great weekend. Nice little introduction to hill running for my VPH club mates.
    Well organised as always and a lovely excuse for a weekend of running hills and swimming in the sea.

Our first time on the Isle of Wight....loving it. Blimey is it always this sunny?

Saturday mornings race, St Boniface AS 2.5m 771ft caught me by surprise. I'd not ran all week due to work and then travelling down from Lancashire. We arrived on Thursday and pretty much ate and then ate some more, I can't resist the cream teas.
    Come race day and I'm in holiday mode, feeling stuffed and thinking, "this is gonna hurt"....and it did.
    Watching everybody warming up pre race it's obvious this isn't your typical fell race crowd. There's stretches and manoeuvres taking place I've never seen before. I tried one and nearly did myself a mischief. I'll stick to my normal warm up of scratching my arse whilst looking unkept.

From the off it's steep and fast up through the town. When we reach the fell I feel more at home and take about 7 on the descent.

A few hours later and it's race number 2 of the day, Ventnor Horseshoe BM 7.5m 1453ft. With this being longer I felt more warmed up and ran better.

Next day and it's the 3rd and final race of the weekend series, Wroxall Round CL 13m 1600ft.
    Another very runnable course which had me out of my comfort zone on the fast flat sections, I seemed to gain places whenever the descent turned 'felly'.

In summary the series is really well organised with results up almost straight after the races. The courses are all extremely well marked and marshalled, ran over fields, bridelways, woods and St Boniface hill. Nothing technical by fell standards but all really good races and well worth making a club weekend with excellent hospitality. Many thanks to all involved for a brilliant (hard) weekend.

Now to explore the island and have more cream teas....yum.

Ha! Brill write up Darren. Don't think scratchin your arse whilst looking unkept really counts as a warm up though. Isle of white's blimmin lovely though innit

Hi Harv, it's great mate. Really lucky with the weather, it's stunning and forecast for the week.
    Enjoying the coastal walks and excellent old pubs...top place.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...I'll stick to my normal warm up of scratching my arse whilst looking unkept...
    Could be unkept or unkempt.

Class write-up 'sticks.

Thought you was gonna tell us that you'd won the series.

Not a chance Andy, some reet good fast lads about, especially from London based club Serpentine runners. They had about 40 runners out on what's become a yearly club outing. Not really my type of running to be honest, not rough enough....but it's a cracking series, really enjoyed it.