Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Hello to the Pennine forum contingent... GeoffB in support as always, and PatrickBarry and RichardB , nice to briefly meet you both.

Pete
    Nice to briefly meet Travs - you seemed to moving well through the switch-backs in the quarries.
    I'd dropped to the half due to 2 and half months of inactivity on back of injury and a debut dose of covid. I wasn't expecting much as I've not been running, am carrying weight, but The Peris is too tempting to miss.
    Probably went better than could have hoped - injury seems to have cleared up, finished in about 2.15 - 15 minutes down on what I went through on the Full last year. Devoid of any semblance of fitness, climbing was rubbish, descending not so bad - nothing changes.
    Got a bottle of wine and box of fudge for coming 1st v50 - quite possible I was the only v50 in the field :-)

Think there were about 80 starters across the Half and Full distance - Welsh races always thinner than across the border but still mystifying why the field isn't twice the size as it is just a magnificent pure fell-running test.

Sorry to hear about your health/fitness woes Richard...

I did recall you finishing well ahead of me last year on the full, and i was therefore rather surprised to look back on the climbs of both Y Garn and Glyder Fawr and not see you.

I wondered if anyone could offer some detail about the way on to Snowdon without dropping down to the Watkins? I did a recce earlier this year and dropped down to the Watkins but speaking to someone at the race they said there's an alternative (I did the half this year).

Hello Ryfoo...

From Pen-Y-Pass you follow the Miners Track to Llyn Llydaw, then turn left at the green hut and up onto Lliwedd (check point).

Then you drop off Lliwedd into the Lliwedd-Snowdon col... this is tricky to find the fastest line and i have found myself a couple of hundred yards down the Watkin Path on occasion.

Are you referring to the route from there which is more direct, and you don't have to follow the Watkin Path up to the finger-stone....? shortly before you come out of the col and start the steep pull up to that finger-stone, there is a trod branching off to the right and this takes you up more directly onto the summit... its a time-saver if you can find it... i've attempted it twice, found it on one occasion and couldn't find it the 2nd time in poor weather, so went up to finger-stone instead.

Thanks Travs, that's exactly what I was looking for. You've confirmed what I suspected, i.e. it's not a clear route, but this is really helpful.

Fantastic running everyone today
    Results: https://www.racetek-live.co.uk/websi...plete_results/
    *Photos from the race*
    Diolch Llyr Hughes for the brilliant photos of runners in the Half Peris/ Early Start Full Race going through the quarry.
    You can view them here( they are ace, Llyr is a professional outdoor photographer!) https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ZUHjKwh0_Dio5w

Check out Llyr's website and his impressive work here: llyrhughestv.com

Levente who was marshalling CP7 on Moel Cynghorion has uploaded lots of action shots of runners in the Full Peris climbing the stile with mountain back drop. Find them on the Eryri Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/3763...9416475161551/

Photo's from prize giving can be found on the Ras Pedol Peris Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/raspedolperis
    Last edited by Simo Caps; 26-09-2023 at 01:24 PM.